Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Printer driver

Beans
    Hidden!

Printer driver

I am having trouble installing the driver for my brother DCP7030 printer.
    Is there a way to do this using the command line?

Beans

Re: Printer driver

dpkg -i filename_of_driver.deb

Beans
    Hidden!

And if you haven't already got the drivers you can get them from
    http://www.brother-store.co.uk/categ..._MjQyOA==.html
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 16.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo --- Wireless-Info

Beans
    Hidden!

I appreciate the help, but this doesn't seem to work for me.I get this
    Not Found

The requested URL /linux/en_us/download_prn.html was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 500 Internal Server Error error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Quote Originally Posted by thnewguy View Post
    dpkg -i filename_of_driver.deb
    All I get here is command not found.

Thanks anyway.
    Last edited by offgridguy; November 4th, 2012 at 01:01 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

I have been trying the options available on the brother site, eg. below

http://welcome.solutions.brother.com...ion_prn1c.html

Not sure how to log in as sudo user ? Frustrating because I have installed
    the driver before once but it's not so easy this time. The problem is not getting it downloaded but installed.
    Last edited by offgridguy; November 3rd, 2012 at 11:56 PM. Reason: spelling error

Beans
    Hidden!

I found this quote by the very helpful Mark Phelps

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Phelps View Post

A big difference between Linux and Windows is the ready availability of drivers -- and the ease with which they are installed. EVERYONE makes Windows drivers, they usually come on the product CD, and installing them is usually just running a setup program from the CD.

Linux drivers, if they are found during setup, are installed automatically. Some drivers are easily added after setup using Additional Drivers. Other drivers are extremely hard, if not impossible, to hunt down and install -- because they often have to be built from scratch.

So basically, if you WANT to install apps from source code and/or build your own drivers from source code -- then Linux is going to be a STEEP learning curve -- because there's really no equivalent to doing this in MS Windows.
    However I did have this printer working once, but due. to a recent reinstall
    I lost that, the procedure I used last time doesn't seem to want to work this time.

Beans
    Hidden!

Here is the procedure I was given last time, What am I missing?
    Re: printer
    You don't need to use the CLI to extract the file. If you find the file with Nautilus and right-click it, you should be able to extract it. Just remember where you put it. The actual script does need to be run from the command line. You need to do this from an account with sudo or 'administrator' privileges. I saved the file 'linux-brprinter-installer-1.0.4-1 to Desktop. I then extracted it and got a file by the same name. Open a terminal and enter "cd Desktop" then "dir". You should see the file listed. At that point you can type in the terminal "sudo bash linux-brprinter-installer-1.0.4-1". (Cheat-hint: right-click copy and paste work in terminal) It should then ask you for the model. Enter something like "MFC-7030" and yes, letter case does matter. At that point the script should run, ask for a couple "do you agree?" questions, ask what kind of connection etc. etc.
    At the point where this says you should see the file listed. It doesn't. Apparently there is no way to use the GUI for installing a Brother printer driver.
    Tommorrow is another day, I will try again then.
    Last edited by offgridguy; November 4th, 2012 at 04:37 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by offgridguy View Post
    I appreciate the help, but this doesn't seem to work for me.I get this
    Not Found

The requested URL /linux/en_us/download_prn.html was not found on this server.
    For some reason that URL reported to you is not the one I linked to which certainly does work. Were you sent to the site you show even though you clicked on my link?
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 16.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo --- Wireless-Info

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    For some reason that URL reported to you is not the one I linked to which certainly does work. Were you sent to the site you show even though you clicked on my link?
    Hi,

I got a "you do not have permission" error on that link too.
    Hope that helps -
    PopularPages: A very handy Documentation Search Tool used by many.
    PopularPages Wiki Thread
    My New Blog

Beans
    Hidden!

So can you get to http://welcome.solutions.brother.com....html#DCP-7030 to get the .deb driver package?

If you can all you need to do is double click on it once downloaded and it should install.

Similarly the scanner driver should be available from either
    http://www.brother.com/cgi-bin/agree...ng=English_gpl
    for 64 bit, or
    http://www.brother.com/cgi-bin/agree...ng=English_gpl
    for 32 bit.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast