Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Troubbleshouter for EFI invalid path

Beans

Re: Troubbleshouter for EFI invalid path

These are the possibility offered by the BIOS/UEFI menu:

Window Boot Manager (P0: Hitachi HTSXXXX) (1)
    Ubuntu (P1: Hitachi HTS XXXXXXXX) (2)
    idem except P1 replace by P0 (3)
    idem except P0 replace by P1 (4)
    P2 MATSHITABD-CMD UJ160 (5) my second drive I believe
    Enter Setup

(2) = (3) and the three ubuntu have the same HD. Doubt for the Windows one, it should be different will edit next time I go back there.

The order of priority for booting is the same as above except that window come in second position.

Boot-repair does not repair with normal options. I want to try it following the second example of dual boot, the one where the OP wrote a step-by-step process after he succeed.

For the EFI install in the sda1, I am wondering: I am sure to have selected sdb as the device for the bootloader but as mentionned in my previous post I feel like my partition sdb1 which I had planned to be a EFI booting one has failed since it is not similar as the one for Windows; the ubuntu booting files might be the ones installed by my first installation of ubuntu.

I keep reading/trying, Thank you for your support, I feel less alone -_-

BTW I love Chicago (went twice)
    have you vote yet?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Have you tried booting with each of the entries?

My wife & went to vote this morning, no lines except if wanting to use the video mode. Then out for breakfast which do only do occasionally.

Standard process is paper with fill-in circles and scanner to read. One advantage of paper is the paper trail & when scanned it will tell you some basic errors like two entries or missing entry and let you fix or accept as is (vote for that candidate will not count).
    I go back to the days of arguing over whether the X on a paper ballot was inside the box as required. If outside some argued intention, but rules were inside only. But then they argued over X on the lines of the box. Someone is always unhappy with the results and wants to make waves.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

YES!

After a nice sleep, I did it! As far as I see, it is working fine.

Thank you Oldfred for your kind support and advice, I would have not succeed alone!

The all powerful thread, solution for dual boot on double disk:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2031836

It is indeed the indexation of the W7 bootloader that is not correct and need to be added as described above. All that I still could do is to remove the wrong entries in the grub2 menu for aesthetics.

still don't believe it! I learn a lot again, thx!

Voting is kinda complex in the USA ^^ and very often waves about cheating. In France we are still paper election so we do not really know if there are frauds

See you!
    Last edited by Poutrathor; November 7th, 2012 at 11:28 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Question Re: Troubbleshouter for EFI invalid path

Good job

Logs indicate you have only used the "Create BootInfo" button of Boot-Repair. Did you try the "Recommended Repair" button? if yes, please could you indicate the URL that appeared?

EDIT: i think this was a bug introduced in the boot-repair3.194~ppa50 package. I fixed it today.
    Last edited by YannBuntu; November 7th, 2012 at 04:35 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Glad it worked.

Yann's Boot-Repair fixes two standard issues with UEFI installs.

One is where users install in BIOS mode. Boot-Repair will un-install grub-pc and install grub-efi and update fstab so it is correct UEFI install.

The other is the bug in grub2's os-prober that puts in a BIOS/MBR chain load entry to Windows. Boot-Repair will automatically add the correct chain entries back to the efi Windows boot loader.

If you do not want the os-prober you can turn it off so you do not get the old wrong entries, or back on later if you add more systems and want another update.

In /etc/default/grub I added this, change back to false if you want to run it again:

gksudo gedit /etc/default/grub

GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER=true

or turn off executeable bit
    sudo chmod a-x /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober

Then run
    sudo update-grub
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12