Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mac laptop

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Mac laptop

Thanks again , the8thstar, I'm glad to know this beforehand.

Beans

About native dual-booting: I'm dual booting OSX 10.8.2 and Ubuntu 12.10 currently, until my pc laptop arrives
    It works quite well, the touchpad behves a bit differently like in OSX (worse in Ubuntu, but still OK), and I didn't have any sort of driver issues. Battery life isn't that great though (about 75% of OSX's, ~3h on my 2012 MBP 13" with 2.9ghz i5).
    I had to use refind as refit bugged out. Refind is a fork of the unmaintained refit.

As far as virtualization goes, I made good experiences with VMware player, which is free (not OSS), and gives me better performance. Virtualbox should work as well, though.

Beans
    Hidden!

Thanks for the input pschyska, As to the mac laptop, i'm thinking i probably
    wouldn't dual boot as i have another laptop already dedicated to linux.
    I am hoping that the mac can replace the photo editing functions that i use
    windows for. I don't use ubuntu for photo editing at all as i don't care for any of the current open source photo management software.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by offgridguy View Post
    Thanks for the input pschyska, As to the mac laptop, i'm thinking i probably
    wouldn't dual boot as i have another laptop already dedicated to linux.
    I am hoping that the mac can replace the photo editing functions that i use
    windows for. I don't use ubuntu for photo editing at all as i don't care for any of the current open source photo management software.
    I kanged my other thread with my view on macs: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...8&postcount=14

If you need Photoshop, there isn't really another option than Mac OSX. Don't use Windows, life is too short for that ****

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by pschyska View Post
    I kanged my other thread with my view on macs: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...8&postcount=14

If you need Photoshop, there isn't really another option than Mac OSX. Don't use Windows, life is too short for that ****
    Thank's for the link

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by pschyska View Post
    About native dual-booting: I'm dual booting OSX 10.8.2 and Ubuntu 12.10 currently, until my pc laptop arrives
    It works quite well, the touchpad behves a bit differently like in OSX (worse in Ubuntu, but still OK), and I didn't have any sort of driver issues. Battery life isn't that great though (about 75% of OSX's, ~3h on my 2012 MBP 13" with 2.9ghz i5).
    I had to use refind as refit bugged out. Refind is a fork of the unmaintained refit.

As far as virtualization goes, I made good experiences with VMware player, which is free (not OSS), and gives me better performance. Virtualbox should work as well, though.
    I'm also using dual boot OSX/Ubuntu on a Mac with refit, and keep having issues. Can I update refit to refind without destroying existing installations?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by fulopattila122 View Post
    I'm also using dual boot OSX/Ubuntu on a Mac with refit, and keep having issues. Can I update refit to refind without destroying existing installations?
    In my experiences there are generally always issues when OS X and Linux share a drive. When possible you should dedicate a drive to each. This is tricky when you have a laptop but you could always boot the lesser used one from a high speed thumb drive.

Beans
    Hidden!

As mentioned earlier in this thread, you can dual boot using virtual box.
    Something i personally have no experience with.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by fulopattila122 View Post
    I guess you can simply install refind over refit. It's an EFI boot loader so it replaces refit on the (normally hidden) EFI partition on the disk (it's a fat volume in case you wanna mount it, there are howtos on the internet to make it visible).
    The only downside I noticed it that there is a about 30s delay for me before showing me the boot options (osx and linux in my case). As I use hybrid standy mostly this doesn't matter much for me.

Do a backup just in case

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123