Thread: Error mounting volumes

Beans

Question Error mounting volumes

Hi all,

Please bare with me, I'm a total rookie with Ubuntu/Linux

I'm running Ubuntu 12.04 from a USB key drive (4Gb). I was able to install some apps in the USB drive but it ran out of space quickly. It would be great if I could install more on the local Hard drive partitions. Problem is, I get the error below when attempting to mount them with Disks.

" Error mounting filesystem
    Adding read ACL for uid 999 to '/media/ubuntu' failed: Operation not supported (g-io-error-quark, 15) "

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance guys

JDL

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Error mounting volumes

A 4GB stick is barely enough to install ubuntu on it. It will not have free space to work with.

Since you plan to use some hdd space too, why not simply install on that hdd space?

Or get an 8GB or 16GB stick (better 16GB).
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64bit

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

If your live-usb installation needs more space use
    Code:
    sudo apt-get clean
    this will erase old .deb and packages downloaded/used when you installed apps

Beans

darkod,
    I was surprised too when I saw in the "Create a USB stick" page that even a 2Gb USB stick would do.
    I think back with Ubuntu 10 the stick was required to be at least 4Gb.
    Thanks for the advise.

Demuxer,
    Thanks for the code, sure it'll come in handy.

I remember when trying release 10 I was able to access my local hard drives. And using them was not a problem at all. Whether it was to move files in/out or even installing programs.
    Now with release 12.04 I can see the local drives icons, but I can't open them. I used "Disks" to attempt to mount the largest hard disk I have, but I only got an error.

JDL

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

There is no surprise for Create a Start up disk. I misunderstood that you have ubuntu INSTALLED onto the stick as a destination.

For creating a bootable usb stick to run ubuntu in live mode from it, or install it on a computer, even a 1GB stick is enough since the ubuntu CD is 680-750MB.

But in that case that is only a live usb, usually called. If you make space for persistancy it can keep some settings and packages you install after a restart, but in most cases is not used to really run ubuntu from it. If you want a stick with full ubuntu that you can run on many computers, usually you would make a full installation on the stick. But it wouldn't allow you to do that on 4GB, it needs a minimum of 4.7GB or similar.
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64bit

Beans

Smile Re: Error mounting volumes

darkod,

Ahh! Now I get it! Thank you so much for the clear explanation.
    Indeed I wanted to have the full installation on the USB stick. No wonder I could only run the try out. Oh well! Now I have it installed on the local hard disk.
    I love it so far! It's considerably better than the last time I tried it (10).

JDL

Beans

If I may. I just had the same problem. I Created a persistent USB with Lili (http://www.linuxliveusb.com/) and I was unable to mount any of my drives (all indicated "Adding read ACL for uid 999 to `/media/ubuntu' failed: Operation not supported (g-io-error-quark, 15)")

It seems that the problem has nothing to do with free space, it is simply that the /media/ubuntu directory does not exists.

Solution, open a terminal and
    sudo mkdir /media/ubuntu

I've just done it and I could then mount the drives. I wonder if the directory will still be there next time I boot... but at least I know how to fix it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jsantander View Post
    It seems that the problem has nothing to do with free space, it is simply that the /media/ubuntu directory does not exists.

sudo mkdir /media/ubuntu
    Thanks, that solved my problem on a Live USB with Ubuntu 12.10 to recover my files from my harddrive.

Switching from Win XP to dual boot now, after long time back to Linux. Thanks for this easy and feature full OS.

Stefan

Beans

This guy... Saving me from a nervous breakdown.

Thumbs up Re: Error mounting volumes

Quote Originally Posted by jsantander View Post
    If I may. I just had the same problem. I Created a persistent USB with Lili (http://www.linuxliveusb.com/) and I was unable to mount any of my drives (all indicated "Adding read ACL for uid 999 to `/media/ubuntu' failed: Operation not supported (g-io-error-quark, 15)")

sudo mkdir /media/ubuntu

I've just done it and I could then mount the drives. I wonder if the directory will still be there next time I boot... but at least I know how to fix it.
    Without words. You're a genius. Thank you very much for your cooperation and great help!