Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keyboard and mouse takes 2-3 minutes to detect on boot

Beans

Keyboard and mouse takes 2-3 minutes to detect on boot

Hi ,

this problem started randomly on a reboot as it was working fine before.

I get to the user login screen on ubuntu and the mouse icon appears but it takes a good 2-3 minutes for my USB keyboard (Razor Lycosa) and USB mouse to be recognised...

I am running ubuntu 12.10 and have no clue why this has randomly started happening?

Any ideas? as its VERY annoying having to wait everytime , epsecially since I just bought a SSD to increase boot time

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Keyboard and mouse takes 2-3 minutes to detect on boot

Hi jimbolad...

Is your system up to date?

Have you tried booting to an older kernel in the grub screen? Any difference...

Did the problem appear at the same time you started using your SSD?

mardybear

Beans

I also have this issue, this really sucks. For me it just not seem to work at all. Never had such a horrible bug with any other ubuntu release.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Unhappy Re: Keyboard and mouse takes 2-3 minutes to detect on boot

I'm having a very similar issue, only mine stops working after I log in. At the log in screen my keyboard and mouse work just fine (it does take some time to recognise the mouse). Afterwards though.... Crisis-lock-down. None of my keyboard shortcuts will work, and the ony thing that I can do is hard boot the computer

Everything worked fine during the live cd trial so that I could check for compatibility issues with my hardware, but once I starting installing and updating things went down hill really quick.

I've been using Ubuntu for years now, and this by far has been the worst upgrade experience between NVIDIA issues and now this.

People are experiencing the same issu on these two threads as well...

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2059135&page=2

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...2#post12337832
    Last edited by bjforesthowell; November 5th, 2012 at 08:33 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jimbolad View Post
    Hi ,

this problem started randomly on a reboot as it was working fine before.

I get to the user login screen on ubuntu and the mouse icon appears but it takes a good 2-3 minutes for my USB keyboard (Razor Lycosa) and USB mouse to be recognised...

I am running ubuntu 12.10 and have no clue why this has randomly started happening?

Any ideas? as its VERY annoying having to wait everytime , epsecially since I just bought a SSD to increase boot time
    Never buy your mouses from that company-Razer

http://www.overclock.net/t/1323093/r...on-data-mining

They do weird things.
    (\ /)
    (O.o)
    (> <)
    This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I just did a fresh install, and it's not the updates I downloaded. Now, when I log in the screen flickers, it logs me off, and I can see the mouse again while I'm at the log in screen. Whenever I move the mouse the screen flickers more. I'm not dual booting so I don't get the grub screen in order to put myself into the CLI. Do you know how to interrupt the boot so that I can try to fix it from there?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mardybear View Post
    Hi jimbolad...

Is your system up to date?

Have you tried booting to an older kernel in the grub screen? Any difference...

Did the problem appear at the same time you started using your SSD?

mardybear
    Hi, my system is definate ou up to date.
    I have been using my SSD for about a week now so that shouldn't really be a cause as it just started . One thing I will say is I was fiddling about with trying to mount my raid drive and on a tutorial it said to go though and add a startup application , having said that there are no application running on startup as far as I can see?

As far as the grub goes no I haven't tried a older kernel and if I'm honest I wouldn't know how to, I've been using Linux for about a week and still overcoming the simple problems
    Last edited by jimbolad; November 5th, 2012 at 10:54 AM.

Beans

Just tried a PS/2 keyboard and it worked fine... I've had a look round for drivers for both the keyboard and mouse and it doesnt wanna work?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi jimbolad.

Even my old single boot Ubuntu has a grub menu...i don't know how to select another kernel otherwise but it sounds like this is a much bigger issue.

Sorry i'm not of much help, but i feel your pain Based on what i'm reading on the forums, i'm reluctant to upgrade my 10.04 install as it works perfectly (not rubbing it in).

At least you found a workaround (PS2 mouse and keyboard), although not an optimal solution.

Good luck,

mardybear

Beans

Would it be possible that this is a grub issue? Funny thing, I also have a 12.04 install of ubuntu on the same machine, and since the 12.10 updated I also get the same behaviour on that install...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast