Thread: Three possible solutions to the COD:BO call of the dead bug

Beans

Three possible solutions to the COD:BO call of the dead bug

I've been having a problem with the black ops zombie map, call of the dead.

I DO NOT run windows (I honestly don't care too) and run black ops under wine. When I jump in the water on the level, the frost effect appears on the sides, but then the entire middle of the screen becomes blurred to such an effect that it makes the game unplayable.

I've had the issue since wine version 1.3.7 and have tested it with multiple wine versions from 1.3.8 - 1.5.16 (which is what I currently run).

I've upgraded my graphics drivers multiple times, and this occurs on more than one system I have.

I've made a bug report in wine, but it seems to have been long forgotten and ignored.

I'm not sure what the rules are on linking here, but I've read every single post on both of the winehq pages about black ops. No one but me comments on this problem, and I can't find anything about it using google.

So, I have three requests...

1) Does anyone know of a way to fix the effect?
    Else if..
    2) Does anyone know how I can turn the effect off?
    Else
    3) Does anyone have a clue of what functions I can see are called during the water effect? If I know what is being called during the effect, maybe I could google the functions and find something. And before you say to do something like wine blackops.exe 1> ~/Desktop/error.txt, think about it for a second...how can I STOP the file from being written to when that effect happens?

EDIT:

I just thought of something. I CANNOT find anything about this on the internet, but is there a way to force the game to use openGL? If not, then is there a way to force black ops to use a previous version of direct x?
    Last edited by venom104; November 4th, 2012 at 06:54 AM.