Thread: PATA/SATA Hard Drive Enclosure

Beans

PATA/SATA Hard Drive Enclosure

I've got some 3.5 hard drives that I want to extract data from. One is a an Hitachi 1TB SATA drive. When all is said an done, this drive will be reformatted and reside, more or less, permanently in the external enclosure.

However, I also have a couple of older drives that I'd like to recover information from. These are labeled as PATA drives.

Can anyone recommend an enclosure that can read both types of drives?

Thanks!

Beans

Re: PATA/SATA Hard Drive Enclosure

You probably can't get an "enclosure" that reads both types of drives, but you can get an "adapter" that does - I have such an adapter.

The difference between an "enclosure" and an "adapter" is that an enclosure is meant to turn an internal drive into an external drive. An adapter is designed for short-term use. Get an adapter if you just want get data off...

Beans

Thanks! Any recommendations? The first IDE SATA adapter I looked at was a Cable to Go and it turns out it does not play nice with Linux.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

i am not sure if they sell an ALL IN ONE adapter but I have an IDE-USB adapter which I use to transfer data from old IDE drives and I also have an enclosure which has sata connectors in it which I use when I have a SATA HDD. GOod luck finding an ALL IN ONE adapter though

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by ahallubuntu View Post
    You probably can't get an "enclosure" that reads both types of drives
    In fact you can. I have both 2.5" and 3.5" enclosures that can hold either PATA or SATA drives.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve00 View Post
    Thanks! Any recommendations?
    You'll need to say where you are geographically so that people can help you. For instance, it's probably no use my recommending this one (click on the thumbnail of the grey-coloured enclosure). I have two - one with an IDE/PATA drive and one with a SATA. I'm sure you will be able to get something similar where you live.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I have a few of these kits and they work well with all size hard drives.

Beans

Sorry. I'm in the south east U.S.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by uclugLee View Post
    I have a few of these kits and they work well with all size hard drives.
    Thanks! So these play nice with Linux? I'll be using the 12.04 Ubuntu-Rescue-Remix live CD.

Beans

I have a number of USB enclosures and adapters (even some cheapos), and all of them have worked fine with Linux.

If you're just trying to get data off, you don't need an enclosure most likely - get an adapter like the f you're just trying to get data off, you don't need an enclosure most likely - get an adapter like the N82E16812161002 (Google for it - it's a NewEgg part number). I have one very similar to this and it works beautifully. Great utility that works with both SATA and PATA drives, PATA laptop drives too.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I'm pretty sure I had this one:
    http://www.amazon.ca/USB-2-0-eSATA-C...2244096&sr=1-2

Worked so well, my step-son "borrowed" it. And quite inexpensive.