Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: how do people remember lots of commands..??

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Question how do people remember lots of commands..??

hello all ,
    I am the ubuntu user since 6.06 but let me tell you . I have always found it very complex task to remember commands of linux.

I have also seen that many users here solving problems only with commands (and yes hats off to the forum staff they just rock with their knowlege base)
    I mean there are hundreds (probably thousands not sure) of commands for linux and with there arguments it becomes the huge list ..

I have tried using
    man -k
    or
    info
    whatis
    but its still a complex thing to remember ...
    Is there is any special trick except practicing it ???

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: how do people remember lots of commands..??

Not an Ubuntu Testimonials & Experiences sub-forum thread.

Thread moved to The Community Cafe.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by rushikesh988 View Post
    Is there is any special trick except practicing it ???
    Bash has a wonderful memory; I don't.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

I just tend to remember how to use stuff I use on a regular basis. Others I just look up.

Bash's history is a lifesaver too, as is the Ctrl-R search.

Beans

Bash has a structure to it that once you understand the structure then writing out long commands becomes simple. You still have to learn about more command line tools to use which is like learning vocabulary. Also, some tools have their own structure such as sed or awk. You just learn their structure, and then you combine your understanding of the language to to write out whatever tasks you want to to. It's like learning an actual language, you don't just memorize common phrases, you learn how the language works.

You'll still always have to go to man pages to look up options though, that's always going to happen unless you can memorize every option of every command.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MG&TL View Post
    ... as is the Ctrl-R search.
    I typically have a good memory using commands, but I can't believe I never knew about the search function in bash.

Thanks!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by 28c64 View Post
    I typically have a good memory using commands, but I can't believe I never knew about the search function in bash.

Thanks!
    Not a problem-neither could I!

PaulW2U is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by rushikesh988 View Post
    I mean there are hundreds (probably thousands not sure) of commands for linux and with there arguments it becomes the huge list ..
    Include all the command arguments and there are probably millions of options that might provide the solution that I'm looking for.

For me, Google is my friend. Somebody, somewhere at sometime will have posted that all important command and it's arguments that will solve my problem if I simply tell Google what it is. For me one of the joys of using Linux is not memorising hundreds of commands and their options but in searching for solutions that have been posted by people who have had exactly the same problem before me.

Beans

No, I don't think it's worth mugging up commands, what I do is keep notes, type in commands or things you learn everyday about Linux in a simple libreoffice document file, export it to PDF and save it onto tablet and your phone. To make this easier, install WebDAV software on your android device or good reader on iPad, single click to start wifi and drop in the PDF to the devices, less than one minute work but keeps the latest notes in sync everywhere.

Over the period of time, I do tend to remember commands I use the most and rest like starting wifi hotspot, connecting to Internet or mounting network shares, I refer my notes.
    Last edited by bhaskar7x7; November 4th, 2012 at 08:03 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I don't try to memorize many commands; I use bash history, man pages when I need to, web searches when I need to, and my notes.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast