Thread: Safely uninstalling Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS from Dual-booted Windows 7 PC?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Cool Safely uninstalling Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS from Dual-booted Windows 7 PC?

I got myself a pretty nice laptop recently, and so I'm moving Ubuntu from my gaming desktop to there, so I can keep work and play separate, haha! Anyway, I tried to search Google for ways to uninstall Ubuntu from a dual-booted PC safely, and found a lot of different methods of doing so. Could anyone recommend to me the best one? Preferably one that does not require me to reinstall Windows or wipe my hard drive?

P.S. I don't know if this makes a difference, but when I installed Ubuntu I used the partitioning tools to make the Ubuntu partitions, rather than using the software on the disk to automatically install it alongside Windows. When I did it that way, I noticed that the GRUB2 loader did not replace the usual Windows 7 boot loader... I actually had to use some 3rd party software to set it up so that my computer recognised that Ubuntu was installed and adjusted the Windows 7 boot loader to enable me to choose between Windows 7 and Ubuntu on start up, and only after I selected Ubuntu would it go to the GRUB2 loader, if that makes any sense.
    <(OO<) (^OO^) (>OO)>
    Do the Kirby dance...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Safely uninstalling Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS from Dual-booted Windows 7 PC?

There is a tool available to do this:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/OS-Uninstaller
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1769489

I guess the safest way would be to boot from a Ubuntu liveCD, install the application in the live session and remove Ubuntu from there.

Since you are using some third-party tool to manage the boot process you have to take care of this yourself.

Beans

Re: Safely uninstalling Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS from Dual-booted Windows 7 PC?

best to give us info of your partition layout:

open the Terminal, copy-paste the following into it
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    that last character is a lower case L

press Enter

copy-paste the results to your post.