Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ubuntu 12.10 vs Windows 8 benchmark.

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 12.10 vs Windows 8 benchmark.

Do people really waffle between two fundamentally different operating system platforms, offering completely different user experiences and application availability, on the basis of minor benchmark differences?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by TheMTtakeover View Post
    It shutdowns? I didn't click the link so maybe they didn't shut it down and just hibernated it, but Windows 8 does shut down.
    It might appear so, but the default behaviour in Win8 is a hybrid hibernation/shutdown in order to speed up boot times. Win8/Ubuntu dual-booters might want to take note of this because it can cause data loss if you write to a shared NTFS partition from Ubuntu while Windows is in its curious semi-hibernated shutdown state. Link:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1953674
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Linuxisfast View Post
    Security
    Ubuntu is more secure than Windows. It has less flaws and fewer people use it. Because fewer people use it, there are fewer people targeting it. Windows 8 does come built with “Windows Defender” which is supposed to help out a bit.

Quite an amateurish and flawed statement in every sense, this is what MS sales pitchers use and use it regularly to gullible buyers.
    "IMHO", it's important to understand the what makes a difference in Windows v Linux security

Suggested Reading

the essay is a little dated but still relevant and insightful

Windows patched up the admin user problem pretty good by adding UAC in Vista

but the problems with remote procedure calls leading directly into kernel code remains. and they keep fussing with "ASLR" and "DEP" -- which is just playing hide and seek with the hackers. Not a good plan because to make a computer work the control blocks are all chained together with address pointers -- which the hacker can follow just like the system does

I think part of the problem in Windows is that in rushing to implement the Hardware Abstraction Layer ("HAL") they neglected to implement fully memory protection as provided by x86 chosing to rely instead on the virtual memory feature set
    Reference: _Rootkit Arsenal_ Bill Blunden

I wish I could find out more about "userland" in Linux

Beans

In the past 10 to 12 years I had used various operating systems at home using disk partitions on my hard drive.
    In those days I tried Windows 95 and Windows XP, Mac OS X , PC BSD and recently Windows 7 operating systems.
    As far as my affair with Linux operating systems .. I tried Mandriva, Xandros linux, OpenSuse, Fedora, CentOS , Lintlinux and PearLinux.
    I saw a demo of Windows 8 operating system at a nearby computer retail store and was not impressed.

Recently started using UBUNTU 12.04 and upgraded to UBUNTU 12.10
    I am really hooked unto this UBUNTU 12.10 operating system ....
    First was impressed me the most about Ubuntu 12.10 ...
    1) It was easy to install and did not take took much time either.
    2) did not require high end hardware to install the operating system.
    3) I was comfortable with the UI of Unity, and the DASH has a Mac like
    feel so anybody can get used to it , it is actually easy on Unity .
    4) newer graphics cards are also being supported to play games.
    5) Wine allows you to run Windows programmes which is useful since many people would want to run Microsoft Office for productivy in home or office setttings.
    6) community support is very good on Ubuntu to resolve issues.
    7) licence is free of cost . No hassles.
    8) Hardware manufacturers are now bringing in linux compatible products , these days linux compatible means - Ubuntu compatible.
    9) NO VIRUS OR MALWARE problems.
    10) Ubuntu has better hardware support with drivers .
    11) Ubuntu software center provides many useful applications.
    12) Wifi accessibilty is great on Ubuntu ... I remember struggling with Cent OS and
    OpenSuse to gain Wifi access at home and work.

A few things Cannonical and Ubuntu developers do are :
    1) Open up Debian / Ubuntu training courses across the globe or through the internet.
    Something on the lines of REDHAT certification or Novell certtification .
    2) Encourage the Ubuntu operating system in primary and secondary schools , at present they teach older Microsoft operating systems to students.
    3) Develop gaming program for Ubuntu to run all Windows compatible games .
    4) All graphic cards - both new and old should work with Ubuntu .
    5) Tweak Libre office to be more compatible with MS office 2003 , 2007 , 2010 , etc
    so that there is no need for anybody to use MS office anymore ... the work
    environment depends on MS office at present .. that needs to change permanently.
    6) Preinstalled Ubuntu operating systems at retail stores would be helpful.
    7) Set up service cum software support center for Ubuntu . Many people with computer issues can fix their computers and also learn about Linux and Ubuntu as an alternative to their current operating system.

agy2154 is offline Ubuntu Green Coffee Beans
    Beans

I mean there are two things Ubuntu can get, in my opinion, to beat Windows, applications and make things easier for new users.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by agy2154 View Post
    I mean there are two things Ubuntu can get, in my opinion, to beat Windows, applications and make things easier for new users.
    It doesn't get much easier for new users than Ubuntu. You can accomplish almost anything with point and click. My first time on Ubuntu was WAY easier than my first time on Windows. People only know windows because it's what "everybody" uses. I've suggested Ubuntu to all my family members, and the ones that have switched all say how "intuitive and simple it is" to use Ubuntu.
    Last edited by Kov3nant; February 19th, 2013 at 12:54 AM. Reason: Added more

agy2154 is offline Ubuntu Green Coffee Beans
    Beans

I see your point. But Ubuntu still has problems. If it weren't for a couple of things I would have went full steam ahead with Ubuntu. When I use After Effects Photoshop with Ubuntu via WINE its isn't as fast as Windows and the most important thing is that my Windows audio driver supports noise suppression for my microphone, I don't think Ubuntu has that.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by agy2154 View Post
    I see your point. But Ubuntu still has problems. If it weren't for a couple of things I would have went full steam ahead with Ubuntu. When I use After Effects Photoshop with Ubuntu via WINE its isn't as fast as Windows and the most important thing is that my Windows audio driver supports noise suppression for my microphone, I don't think Ubuntu has that.
    If you run anything that isn't the OS running on ~90% of the world's PCs -- the OS that your PC was designed to work with, and whose logo is probably stuck to the front of the machine -- then at best you're going to have little things like this that don't work. That's just reality.

I've been using Linux for ten years now. I remember a time when you were lucky to have a sound card that even worked at all. I remember when WINE couldn't run much of anything useful, and if it did you didn't dare upgrade it because chances are it wouldn't in the next release. Heck, I remember when getting to a desktop with any given video chipset was a crapshoot.

If your comments represent the real state of problems with Linux compatibility these days, I'd say things are moving pretty nicely.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by chideock View Post
    If there was a store here in Canada (Ontario) that sold a Ubuntu laptop with the wifi, video and sound all working I would go buy it, however, I have never seen such a setup in any store I have been in.
    https://www.system76.com/laptops/

Beans

Yes, I agree with you. Nice article.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12