Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dialog box window sizes

Beans

Lightbulb Dialog box window sizes

Gtk window placement not remembering size when it is an open or save dialog window.
    Problem:
    1. Open the open dialog on libreoffice.
    2. Window overlaps off screen. Does not fit on screen.
    3. Click the maximise button and the window adjusts as a maximised window that fits on the screen.
    4. Close window.
    5. Open window again.
    6. Same problem overlaps on screen does not remember that it was in a maximised state when I closed it from last time.
    7. Have to click maximise again!

What it needs to do:
    1. The 2nd window should remember where it was in a maximised state (not overlap when i open it again) as I had left it when I had closed the 1st window.
    2. Window open and save dialog s should remember there state no matter how they are adjusted.

I have filed a gtk bug.
    My response so far is that it is a Ubuntu problem.

What I think is happening:
    The open and save dialog window knows that it needs to be at a resolution as it was before... And that is what it is directly doing. But, What the window needs to do though is to be told when it is opened to go to that size and resolution but to also go back into maximise mode as I had left it before.

Links:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...iz/+bug/760645 launchpad bug:
    Bug filed with gtk developer: https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=685347
    Screenshots in both links of what is going wrong.

I have had this problem with many versions of ubuntu since 10.04.. Earlier. It would be great if it could be fixed... still happens in quantal 12.10.

It is quite annoying when the dialog doesn't remember its position or fits on the screen??
    this happens on any open or save window in ubuntu on any program. Including Firefox... Chromium... Libreoffice... Archive manager.... Nautilus.... And many many many others.

Please help,
    bash321.
    bash321

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Dialog box window sizes

hm, the gtk report is marked as "solved" now

have you tested without compiz installed (like with gnome-session-fallback) ?

Beans

No I have not tried gnome session fallback. But I will give it a go without compiz.
    I will try and unresolve the bug as well as its not resolved on launch pad I will unresolve it on the gtk bug.
    bash321

Beans

I have tried with gnome session fallback. And the size is remembered when I open and close the open dialog box on libreoffice writer.

This works for gnome session fallback with effects. I even uninstalled compiz.
    Without effects you cannot maximise open and save dialog boxes on Ubuntu no option is displayed.

The window remembers its size but it does not remember that it was in a maximised state where I had left it before. Thus I have to right click on the window and hit maximise for the window to maximise.
    I then close it. And the application. re open libreoffice writer and the open dialog box right click on it and it hasn't remembered so I have to click maximise on the window. This included shutdown and restart tests with the same problem still occurring.

Is there a way for the window to remember that it had been left in a maximised state as it then would fit onto the screen properly in a maximised window all the time. Especially for open and save dialog boxes.

Bash321
    bash321

Beans

Edited reports and changed status of reports.

Could this also be a unity window decorator problem? With open and save dialog boxes on Ubuntu because I tried the same tests on xubuntu and they worked perfectly compared to using the normal Ubuntu.

Bash321
    bash321

Beans

it would seem the problem is some windows like the ones you've mentioned won't/can't open integrated into the unity panel so they open 'semi-maxed' but below the unity panel.
    So it would appear to be a Unity only issue & Not a low resolution display issue

If one was to set an 'open' window to only open maximised in compiz > window rules then it likely would open integrated into the unity panel.
    Though in a quick test of vlc's open file dialog window it's not seen as any different than vlc
    (so the setting would be for vlc, not just it's open <whatever> window

Edit: in the case of libreoffice you could set the open window itself to only open maxed -
    class=Soffice
    Last edited by mc4man; November 7th, 2012 at 04:32 PM.

Beans

I have tried setting those settings with window rules in compiz to make the windows auto resize and stay maximised... I tried it with VLC, and it's open dialog window to maximise with the unity window decoration. It did not work.

It did not stay auto resized and maximised when I had closed it.

I am not sure.. if I am doing the correct compiz rules for the windows and specifically for the open dialog in VLC.

It would be great if there was some feedback or wiki to help me setup the correct commands for the compiz maximised windows and unity window decorations rules using ccsm to stay maximised and resized.

I am currently now using raring 13.04 on my desktop to fix this issue.

bash321
    bash321

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

i propose you open a new report, and add into it the related old bugs seen on post #1; maybe against debconf.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bash321 View Post
    I have tried setting those settings with window rules in compiz to make the windows auto resize and stay maximised... I tried it with VLC, and it's open dialog window to maximise with the unity window decoration. It did not work.

It did not stay auto resized and maximised when I had closed it.
    Was actually using vlc as one example of many where the "Dialog box" would be treated as an app itself window so maybe a case where you wouldn't want to set the max window rule (unless you want vlc only & always maximized.

As far as the " open dialog on libreoffice", just do as in screen
    (- enable window rules > add
    class=Soffice

Libreoffice is more the exception here.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

window rules has no effect and it has the exact same problem..
    will create a new bug report with all of the information about the problem.
    will also post a new bug on libreoffice bugzilla as well as launchpad.

all links are here from ubuntuforums, and libreoffice and gtk gnome bugzilla are all in this launchpad post.
    hopefully somebody can resolve this problem quickly.
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/df-libreoffice/+bug/1097089
    bash321
    Last edited by bash321; January 8th, 2013 at 01:25 AM.
    bash321

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast