Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 12.10 64 Bit Soundblaster X-Fi Sound Problems

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Ubuntu 12.10 64 Bit Soundblaster X-Fi Sound Problems

Hi everyone,

I just installed a fresh 12.10 after a long break from Ubuntu. I see some great improvements but some old problems still remain.

Anyway, I am experiencing popping/cracking sounds from my speakers. I understand that the SoundBlaster X-Fi drivers are terrible on Linux.

Any idea how to fix this problem?

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 12.10 64 Bit Soundblaster X-Fi Sound Problems

I also am having problem with X-Fi, in my case the X-Fi Surround 5.1 USB. The X-Fi works fine on Win7 and Maverick. The cracking and popping only happens when you switch the hardware profile to more than 2 channels (4.0-5.1)

Sometime the cracking can be eliminated by switching the profile from analog stereo to 5.1 several time, but it will return after reboot

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Update this post if you find a permanent solution for this bug. It seems like I will continue to use Windows as my main OS until I am 100% sure that my Ubuntu experience can match my Windows experience.

Beans

I can hear annoying noise on my x-fi xtreme gamer edition under ubuntu 12.10.
    Works perfect under windows :\

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I have the same issue with my creative X-fi Xmod on Ubuntu 12.10 64bit As far as I remember it worked fine on earlier Ubuntu distributions, I will test in Virtualbox...

Beans

I solved problem with noise. The reason of this noise is turned by default "microphone to dinamics output, not sure how to call it correct". I just installed some advanced mixer software from software center and turned it off.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kaspian View Post
    I solved problem with noise. The reason of this noise is turned by default "microphone to dinamics output, not sure how to call it correct". I just installed some advanced mixer software from software center and turned it off.
    Can you elaborate more on that? What kind of X-Fi card do you have? Is it PCI or USB? And what kind of mixer app did you use?

Beans

Actually the last software update apparently solved the clicking sound problem. I can use the 5.1 profile without any glitch in sound output

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by DemonSpeedster View Post
    Can you elaborate more on that? What kind of X-Fi card do you have? Is it PCI or USB? And what kind of mixer app did you use?

I'm using old PCI card (X-Fi XtremeGamer). I've installed QasMixer from software center.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Could you point me to the documentation for that please? I'm only showing a "Master" slider for my X-Fi card for some reason. Not sure why.
    Here is a test to find whether your mission on earth is finished: If you're alive, it isn't.
    Richard Bach, Illusions

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast