Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Installation Garbled the Drive Letter Assignment and Thus I Can't Boot Windows

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Installation Garbled the Drive Letter Assignment and Thus I Can't Boot Windows

Thank you both.

Using both steps described in this thread...

1. Installing grub to the MBR using sudo grub-install /dev/sda in the Linux terminal
    2. Fixing the boot sector of the Windows partition using fixboot in the Windows recovery console

Now, after chosing Windows in grub, the OS started finally again. It run chkdsk (twice in my case, so it might do it several times) before finally starting Windows without problems.

So, the problem is solved!

What I'd like to know (also for the benefit of other readers of this thread) is why it happened and how to do prevent that from happening from the start.

I couldn't find a fully illustrated (K)Ubuntu 12.04 installation guide with manual partition mode, the closest I found is on the German ubuntuusers.de wiki: Kubuntu Installation.

I did pretty much the same as depicted on the screenshots except that I did not chose a Home and Swap drives and that I chose Ext4 as my file system. It did not ask (as far as I remember) the place where I'd want to install grub to.

Maybe someone can see where a possible source of the problem lies. And finally, while this isn't part of this thread anymore, is it possible to add Home and Swap partitions later on?

Here for checking and comparison is my final bootinfo: http://paste.ubuntu.com/1328834/

Thank you.
    Dual boot: Windows XP HE SP3 and Kubuntu 12.04
    Occasional Software/Web Developper
    Linux newcomer

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Installation Garbled the Drive Letter Assignment and Thus I Can't Boot Windows

The Prepare Partitions screenshot in that guide actually hides the option because the Edit Partition window is opened above it.

In the manual partitioning screen, where you setup your partitions, below the list of partitions is the drop down box to select bootloader destination.

By the looks of the original bootinfo, grub2 got installed on sda1 instead of /dev/sda (the MBR). What I am confused about is that you say you never selected anything about the bootloader, and the default value in the drop down would be /dev/sda. So maybe you did change it to sda1 thinking it's asking about the default windows partition.

Otherwise there is no specific question about the bootloader, only that drop down field below the partitions list. Next time you install watch out for it.
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 14.04 LTS 64bit & Windows 10 Pro 64bit

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Okay, I will, and thank you very much!
    Dual boot: Windows XP HE SP3 and Kubuntu 12.04
    Occasional Software/Web Developper
    Linux newcomer

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12