Thread: xlib

Beans

xlib

Ok, Im getting a lot of problems.
    As some of you know, Im a windows programmer, now also learning linux. So Iḿ willing to use xlib. But I found out after reading ome of the manual that xlib works a lot differently than the winAPI, and I really need some tutorials on xlib from basic to advanced window maintenance. I dont get the following parts (if any of you know xlib):
    - how to get keycode from events KeyPress and KeyRelease (im using a bool key[256] array to store all the keys, at least that worked fine on windows.)
    - do I need XSelectInput to get the events or dont I need to specify any flags to use the event?

Ihve got a feeling its gotta be a long way to learn xlib...

Beans

Re: xlib

Here's a tutorial:
    http://tronche.com/gui/x/

If I may ask, why aren't you using a toolkit? GTK+ or QT are much easier to use than Xlib or XCB.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Make your first App on Qt, when you finish and its stable, then start going lower levels...

Beans

The same for:
    Why didnt you use sdl on windows? winAPI is a lot harder...
    I choose the hard way because I want my engine to be independant from 3rd party libraries (expect Im using BASS for sound rendering. Cant implement that myself yet and of course OpenGL, but I assume almost on every system OpenGL is installed).