Thread: Data Recovery Query

Beans

Exclamation Data Recovery Query

I installed ubuntu 12.10 LTS on my harddisk and by mistake i did erase everything and install ubuntu..and so it erased everything.Now the problem is.. i had very important files on the extended partition on windows 7 (NTFS) so can anybody help me in recovering the data?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Data Recovery Query

Found this question http://askubuntu.com/questions/25311...-removed-files

Important to note, your files might be possible to recover it all depends on if any data has been written to the location where your previous data was saved, in that case won't it be possible to recover the data. More information can be found here http://www.webopedia.com/DidYouKnow/...eted_Files.asp

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Do not use your HD any further; the more you use it, the more of the data that you can recover will be overwritten (and permanently lost).

I'm not sure how far you will be able to recover, but liveCDs or liveUSBs with recovery tools are the way to go.
    If you don't make backups of your important data, your data is obviously not important to you.

Beans

Lightbulb Re: Data Recovery Query

Thank u guys for reply!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

In my experience, Windows filesystem utilities have been best at recovering data from former Windows partitions; Linux filesystem utilities have been best at recovering data from former Linux partitions. Your best bet at recovering data in a useful form from the Windows filesystem is to do as indicated below ...

Since your data was on a Windows partition, based on my experience at doing this successfully, my suggestions are the following:
    [NOTE: If your PC has a working copy of MS Windows on it, skip to step 4]
    1) Find someone with a working MS Windows PC
    2) Remove your drive from this PC.
    3) Connect your old drive to the MS Windows PC.
    4) Download and install the trial version of RecoverMyFiles from Runtime Software in MS Windows.
    5) Right-click the RecoverMyFiles shortcut and select "Run as Administrator"
    6) Select the option to Recover a Drive
    7) You will get a list of drive, scroll down to find the one for your USB stick or memory card
    8) Select Automatic Driver recovery, press Start button
    9) It will run for a while but when done, will show a directory tree in the left pane. Do NOT interrupt it.
    10) When done, browse the folders in the directory tree -- and be SURE to check the filesizes of the files you want to recover. If the filesize is zero, the file is trashed and you will NOT be able to recover it.

If the files look OK, you will need to contact Runtime Software to purchase a license for the recovery. You won't have to reinstall the app; instead, they will email you an activation code which you can use to turn on the recovery feature.

According to their website, the "standard" version of the app is $70 USD. They also have a Pro version for $99 dollars, but if you go to the website below, you can compare the features and (at least for me) the extra cost wasn't worth it:

http://www.recovermyfiles.com/data-r...e-purchase.php

Your data ... your money ... your choice.
    Ubuntu 16.10 Mate, Mint 18 Mate; MS Win 8.1, MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.