Thread: Unify Unity

Beans

Unify Unity

I'd like to propose two changes to Unity on the Brainstorm, but I don't know whether they are valid ideas to be proposed there.
    The first thing is adding/tranferring the Shutdown menu to Dash, which is meant to be 'the central point' of the desktop environment. I see it as 5-6 icons corresponding to the items of the current menu (shutdown, restart, suspend, logout, lock, help) in the third line of Dash Home. This would bring us one step closer to Dash's desktop omnipotence.
    The second thing is a little trickier: redirecting application's notification area menu to it's launcher quicklist. For example VLC shows up in the notification area with its big orange icon decomposing top bar's monochromatic color design. Moreover theres two of those icons on the screen now and this defies the idea of unity in Unity.
    I'm no programmer in any sense, but I can imagine that someone can write a piece of code that brings notification area API into the launcher.
    PS. wouldn't it be nice if there was the workspace name displayed on the top bar when no window is active?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Unify Unity

I'd like also to propose some changes to Unity.

1. Make it possible to CHOOSE which "lens" is default.
    2. Give us a "lens" that will reasonably approximate the Gnome2/xfce/Windows/kde menuing systems. MENUS WORK!

Btw, I get it with why you chose to break free of the Gnome direction - I get that. I get it that you want to choose a path and stick to it. But what I don't get is why you are taking something that ain't broken, and trying to "fix" it. That is tinkering for the sake of it, and it will only bring you heartache in the market. The market is already telling you that - you've seen the numbers.

Good luck, and please give us back a direction for Ubuntu that looks like you intend to stay mainstream.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Unify Unity

Two more changes I would like to suggest, but not exactly to Unity.

First - the Unity "official" mega-thread should be a sticky or somehow fixed so that it turns up immediately in a search - which it did not for me just a short while ago. Therefore, I posted in this thread.

Second - that a pointer be posted here to the "official" Unity discussion. Oh, I can do that!

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1884970