Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Ubuntu 11.04

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Beans
    5

    Ubuntu 11.04

    Hi,

    I have always liked ubuntu 11.04 and would like to continue to use it. Will I be safe to do so?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Beans
    7,745

    Re: Ubuntu 11.04

    Welcome to the forums! 11.04 no longer has any support or updates from Canonical. If you are confident that you have the Linux skills to address all security concerns on your own with no suppot from the maker, the answer to your question is that Ubuntu releases do not have a self-destruct mechanism that ativates on their end-of-life date. However, using an obsolete release is not something I would recommend (except for educational purposes, like you are writing an article about historical Linux releases).

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Milwaukee,WI
    Beans
    6,282
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: Ubuntu 11.04

    Quote Originally Posted by steviez View Post
    Hi,

    I have always liked ubuntu 11.04 and would like to continue to use it. Will I be safe to do so?

    Thanks
    what do you use it for? also, do you have a router or only a modem? or perhaps a cable modem/router? Only curious as that adds a layer of security in the form NAT.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Beans
    5

    Re: Ubuntu 11.04

    Quote Originally Posted by dannyboy79 View Post
    what do you use it for? also, do you have a router or only a modem? or perhaps a cable modem/router? Only curious as that adds a layer of security in the form NAT.
    Hi,

    I have a router with NAT enabled.

    Thanks

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Beans
    5

    Re: Ubuntu 11.04

    Quote Originally Posted by snowpine View Post
    Welcome to the forums! 11.04 no longer has any support or updates from Canonical. If you are confident that you have the Linux skills to address all security concerns on your own with no suppot from the maker, the answer to your question is that Ubuntu releases do not have a self-destruct mechanism that ativates on their end-of-life date. However, using an obsolete release is not something I would recommend (except for educational purposes, like you are writing an article about historical Linux releases).

    Thanks for your reply

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Ubuntuland
    Beans
    2,124
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

    Lightbulb Re: Ubuntu 11.04

    You won't get bug fixes either....

    I'd switch to using LTS releases if you don't like to update much.
    24 beers in a case, 24 hours in a day. Coincidence? I think not!

    Trusty Tahr 64 bit, AMD Phenom II 955 Quad Core 3.2GHz, GeForce 9600 GT
    16G PC2-6400 RAM, 128 GB SSD, Twin 1TB SATA 7200 RPM RAID0

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •