Page 35 of 35 FirstFirst ... 25333435

Thread: Now that the Unity hate has cooled down, how do you feel about the WM?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Now that the Unity hate has cooled down, how do you feel about the WM?

I have tried many different GUI and I keep coming back to Unity because I like the built-in features.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain20122 View Post
    I think they make money only for some searches like Amazon, but definitely not something like wikipedia or the scholar scope so I think it is a genuine design goal at some level. I disable web search because I don't like the clutter. It would be nice if there is a more flexible way to exclude and include folders from local searches too. e.g in 13.10 it is silly that even access to system folders like /etc via the terminal shows up in the dash. I can't exclude the whole file system obviously and it would be absurd to have to exclude each sub directory other than /home manually, there should be an option like exclude x except for subdirectory y of x. Dash search is nice and powerful but definitely needs some fine tuning.
    A lot of that fine-tuning can be done through dconf. My home lens always shows applications, then files, then Tomboy notes, then reference items, and nothing else. It's incredibly useful and surpasses Synapse now. That wouldn't be the most useful set of returns for another user, but that's why we have options. = ) What'd be nice is a GUI tool to twiddle those dials a little more conveniently.
    I know I shouldn't use tildes for decoration, but they always make me feel at home~

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Bump.

I'd really like someone to disagree with me about this so I can argue about it. I've just destroyed someone's pride of ownership in a new Windows 8 PC by showing them the search screen and how useful it can be, and then showing them mine. = P
    I know I shouldn't use tildes for decoration, but they always make me feel at home~

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Copper Bezel View Post
    Bump.

I'd really like someone to disagree with me about this so I can argue about it. I've just destroyed someone's pride of ownership in a new Windows 8 PC by showing them the search screen and how useful it can be, and then showing them mine. = P
    Aren't you bit old for playing "I'll show you mine if you'll show me yours"?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by stinkeye View Post
    Aren't you bit old for playing "I'll show you mine if you'll show me yours"?
    There's an age limit?
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

She was new to Windows 8. It was "I'll show you yours, then I'll show you mine." But the sentiment was roughly the same. = )

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by deadflowr View Post
    There's an age limit?
    I hope not

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

so then ...

@johnluke728 - you were saying? Now that the Unity hate has cooled down, how do you feel about the WM? - appears not, I think also there is someone in a cave somewhere who absolutely hates Gnome2 and wants to go back.

The moral of the story seems to be - there will always be someone who doesn't like whatever it is that's the topic of conversation.

After 2 months this thread has gotten exactly where all the other Gnome2/Unity threads have - we have an overabundance of Ouroboros's here. I'm going to let this one rest now.

Thanks for the comments everyone.

Page 35 of 35 FirstFirst ... 25333435