Page 16 of 35 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: Now that the Unity hate has cooled down, how do you feel about the WM?

Beans

Re: Now that the Unity hate has cooled down, how do you feel about the WM?

Looks like my posts, and some of the others here, have basically demonstrated the first part of this thread's title is false.

I'm willing to bet good money that the "hate" going on over Unity and Gnome Shell (which look the same to me) has less to do with the UI itself, and far more with this attitude on the part of both Gnome and Canonical that "this is just the way it is", and to heck with what the users themselves actually want.

And no, misters and misses UF mods and admins, I'm not willing to just simply "drop it". That's the whole point! You can't just go around saying "quit hating on Unity" and then saying "See? Everyone seems to have settled in nicely." because that doesn't reflect reality, and I seriously doubt it ever will.

I never, ever in my life thought I would become a KDE user. But what choice do I realistically have here?

Beans
    Hidden!

Then install Cinammon desktop!
    http://askubuntu.com/questions/94201...nnamon-desktop

I put it on my system for my wife to use for her user name.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by MisterGaribaldi View Post
    And no, misters and misses UF mods and admins, I'm not willing to just simply "drop it". That's the whole point! You can't just go around saying "quit hating on Unity" and then saying "See? Everyone seems to have settled in nicely." because that doesn't reflect reality, and I seriously doubt it ever will.

I never, ever in my life thought I would become a KDE user. But what choice do I realistically have here?
    So what happened, did Mark personally come over and twisted your arm and tortured you to use Unity? Go on and rant as much as you like, but the fact remains that Canonical stuck their necks out.

Obviously you don't like it. Others do. So use something you do like. It's a free world.
    I'm thinking about it

Beans

You know, you people just keep missing the point, and I really don't know why, but I'm pretty tired of arguing with people who insist on being deliberately dense.

Beans
    Hidden!

You know, you people just keep missing the point, and I really don't know why, but I'm pretty tired of arguing with people who insist on being deliberately dense.
    You also say this
    But what choice do I realistically have here?
    Cinnamon Desktop is a good gnome2 like choice, what is wrong with this?

Beans

I'm willing to bet good money that the "hate" going on over Unity and Gnome Shell (which look the same to me) has less to do with the UI itself, and far more with this attitude on the part of both Gnome and Canonical that "this is just the way it is", and to heck with what the users themselves actually want.
    A problem I see is that users don't inherently know what users want. It's obvious that unity is controversial but I have yet to see some reliable data or survey that would give us an overview what ubuntu users or users in general prefer. All I know is that Canonical is testing what works best with different people and according to their methods they determined that unity is the best option they can currently give. They apparently don't listen to you but it's a big leap to they don't listen to users.

Beans

Looks like my posts, and some of the others here, have basically demonstrated the first part of this thread's title is false.

Entitled much? Let me guess. You haven't supplied even one line of code for either Gnome or Unity, and you certainly aren't paying for either of them, yet like so many others you honestly think the developers should code to your standards and their own direction be damned. Sorry bro. The world don't work like that.

While you're at it, I suggest you go over to Kubuntu and rail on them for forcing you to use KDE, and make sure and hit the MINT guys up since they're forcing Cinnamon and MATE down your throat. Oh right. Nobody is forcing anything on you or anyone for that matter. You just want to complain about a desktop you're not even using. Carry on then

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rai4shu2 View Post
    I'm curious whether all the keyboard junkies have tried out ratpoison. If all you care about is the keyboard, then that's really the best DE. I use Xfce because it fits best with my mouse-centric habits of any DE I've tried yet.
    Almost any tiling window manager is fully keyboard-accessible. Some floating window managers (the kind everyone uses) are as well, like EvilWm or Calm. Compiz can actually bind all window management functions to the keyboard as well, though it isn't exactly optimized for the task.

Between HerbrstluftWM, Vim, and Pentadactyl, I don't have to use the mouse for anything except advanced image editing (for simple stuff, I just use imagemagick). Sometimes I do end up using for web browsing. Old habits.

Off the top of my head: xfce, lxde, mate, e17, cinnamon, openbox, CDE, evilwm, compiz, metacity, Xmonad, dwm, spectrwm, awesome, fluxbox, framebuffer+tmux, musca, herbsluftwm, twm, ttwm, monsterwm, stumpwm, ratpoison, i3, wmii... There are more, but that's what comes to mind.

It might be easier to answer the question, "what choice don't I have?"
    In any case, these links will provide an answer that, while not complete, is at least more comprehensive than mine.
    https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...p_environments
    https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...indow_managers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.10 Yakkety Yak

Actually, I neither Hate nor Love Unity. I figure if I leave it alone, it'll leave me alone.

Hence my Posting Tag.
    This post is like Brigadoon!

rai4shu2 is offline Extra Foam Sugar Free Ubuntu
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Actually, if Ubuntu had gone primarily with Unity 2D rather than 3D, I think that would have worked out best. Getting away from Gnome and GTK completely might have made for a good change, but this is all just speculative, now.

Page 16 of 35 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast