Thread: Google Earth/ graphics issues

Beans

Google Earth/ graphics issues

Hey all,

Pretty new at this ubuntu thing but I think I may have installed a non-compatible package... or my computer is just slowly collapsing into a black hole. Certainly feels like the latter. Basically my whole experience with Ubuntu has been troubleshooting for about 3 straight days... I'm sure this will be the first of many posts I'm making unfortunately.

System Specs:
    Ubuntu 12.04 x64 (partition)
    Windows 7 x64 on other side
    3rd generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3610QM Processor (2.3 GHz, 6MB L3 Cache)
    NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) GT 630M Graphics with 1GB GDDR3 memory [HDMI, VGA]
    12GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)

When I launch google earth in terminal I get this error:
    Xlib: extension "GLX" missing on display ":1".
    #(This is repeated about 50 times)

Google Earth has caught signal 11.

We apologize for the inconvenience, but Google Earth has crashed.
    This is a bug in the program, and should never happen under normal
    circumstances. A bug report and debugging data have been written
    to this text file:

blahblahblah text file

So I'm pretty sure this is a graphics issue. Amusingly this program was working just fine yesterday. I tried to install the newest nvidia driver but was unable to figure out how to shut down x server.

Followed this guide:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1972901

The system just hangs in limbo and won't allow me to do anything but type commands with no response after I stop lightdm.

All of this may be irrelelvant because I'm about to be eaten by a hurricane.

Thanks all!

-Sherm

Beans

Re: Google Earth/ graphics issues

Well its working again. However clamped polygons are not supported which is unfortunate because I need to get some KMLs. Apparently I have 2 graphics cards, an Intel Ivybridge+ the Nvidia I listed above. I am now running on the Intel... odd problem.

So if anyone knows about a "clamped polygon" problem solution feel free to enlighten me

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Google Earth/ graphics issues

Quote Originally Posted by Sherman530 View Post
    Well its working again. However clamped polygons are not supported which is unfortunate because I need to get some KMLs. Apparently I have 2 graphics cards, an Intel Ivybridge+ the Nvidia I listed above. I am now running on the Intel... odd problem.

So if anyone knows about a "clamped polygon" problem solution feel free to enlighten me

Thanks
    I wish I knew what "clamped polygons" are, but I have been ignoring that message and have been drawing and loading all sorts of kml polygons as well as creating overlays and saving and loading the overlays as .kmz files. I THINK what the message means is that the polygons show as an empty shape instead of a filled shape, which for my purposes is just fine.

I was following a discussion today on the ubuntu-users mailing list and added the "official" Google repository. As it turns out TODAY (well, November 1st) there's a brand-new version of Google Earth out, version 7.0-something. It LOOKS slicker, but I can't get any of the earth image layers to display, so I uninstalled it and went back to the 6.0.3.2197 that I've been using. (I created the .deb using the googleearth-package script. Who knows what version that script would create if I run it tomorrow?)