Thread: Dell Optiplex Gx520 Options?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Question Dell Optiplex Gx520 Options?

Got Refurbished Dell optiplex Gx520 (The tall Big One) For Free By Volunteering at my Local Nextstep Recycling Center (Computer Electronics Recycling). After so many of Hrs of Volunteering you get a Free Computer.
    Only Downside i have noticed is the System comes with 2 1Gb sticks 2GB total Memory. Also the System comes only with PCI Slots no AGP or PCI Express slot for Graohics Card. So my only option to Upgrade the Graphics Card is buy a PCI Graphics card. (yes I know PCI Graphics Crads are old) So is this System it worth it?

Dell Optiplex G520 Specs: 2.53GHz Cpu 2 GB memory (2 1GB sticks) 8mb (256 shared Graphics I Think?) with Win 7 Preinstalled. already installed Linux Mint 13 64 Bit
    The Answer Please if at all Possible

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Dell Optiplex Gx520 Options?

Is there something you want to do, which this system won't do? It's not all that fast, and the GMA 950 is not wonderful, but 2 GB of memory is excellent for Mint 13. Some time ago, I bought an ATI PCI graphics card on eBay, (for $10) and it worked just fine.

If you're dual-booting, the hard drive may be a bit small. (80 GB?)

If you find the computer to be slow, you might try Xubuntu or Lubuntu.

If you don't want the computer, I'm sure you have neighbours who would be delighted to have it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Dell Optiplex Gx520 Options?

got a nvidia geoforce 6200 Pci card for it. got it pretty cheap.
    The Answer Please if at all Possible