Thread: Update Manager doesn't prompt for password, won't install updates

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Update Manager doesn't prompt for password, won't install updates

I'm having problems with Update Manager. My set up is Lubuntu 12.04 (running on a headless HP Microserver). It sits in another room and I log into it mostly over SSH and Remote Desktop from a Windows 7 PC.

When I login over RDP Update Manager regularly pops up telling me there are updates to install.

When I click "Install Updates" nothing happens though. I've done a bit of digging and if I close the update manager and restart it by running "sudo update-manager" from the command line, it works fine so I think it's because for some reason Update Manager is not asking for my admin password.

Any help on fixing this would be really appreciated!

(I orignally posted this as a reply in http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2002742 but I think it's a separate issue).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Update Manager doesn't prompt for password, won't install updates

I would re-install the Update Manager, unless of course you had two update programs open at the same time. You know of course only one can run at a time.
    Rex
    Ubuntu Arizona LoCo Team - The Hottest LoCo on Earth
    Arizona LoCo |Arizona Team Wiki|Arizona Launchpad

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

I'd just restarted the machine at this point, and had only logged on through Remote Desktop the once, so I don't think there were multiple Update Managers open (nobody else uses the server but me).

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Right, I have confirmed that this only happens when logging on over Remote Desktop - it works fine when I'm logged in on the box itself (i.e. I get the "To install updated software, you need to authenticate." dialogue).