Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Home folder quicklist goes missing

Beans

Re: Home folder quicklist goes missing

I'll throw in a 12.04 install tommorrow & see if anything pops out.
    (just to note - if you were to do a fresh install I'm 99.99% sure this wouldn't be an issue

So to recap for anyone else interested - correct if wrong

Seems to be a system-wide issue as it affects orig. & any new user
    Only affects quicklist items that are nautilus bookmarks, both the 5 built-in & any added
    When first logging in all bookmarks in nautilus are properly shown in the quicklists & any would work properly when clicked on.
    When clicking on any quicklist entry that corresponds to a nautilus bookmark all quicklist entries for those bookmarks disappear until nautilus is killed & restarted
    A manually restarted nautilus then has no quicklist issues with bookmark entries
    Clicking on a quicklist entry that corresponds to a 'Desktop action' does not remove the bookmark entries??

(as far as ?? - on a fresh login when all are there, if you click on an entry from a Desktop action do the bookmarked entries stay? As in any of the 3 shown in 2nd screenshot in previous post.

Edit: if me I'd probably make sure there was an alt. session to log in to, then I'd completely remove 4 unity & 3 nautilus packages & do a restart. After logging in to unity-2d or Classic then re-install the 7 packages - can give a list if desired
    At some point though I'd likely just copy out stuff, settings, ect & re-install

Re-edit: - could you try something sorta silly though it did resolve some odd issues in 12.04 dev
    Try switching themes & then back. Ex. - if using Ambiance then switch to Radiance in Appearances, click on Desktop, then switch back to Ambiance
    Last edited by mc4man; January 12th, 2013 at 08:00 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    Re-edit: - could you try something sorta silly though it did resolve some odd issues in 12.04 dev
    Try switching themes & then back. Ex. - if using Ambiance then switch to Radiance in Appearances, click on Desktop, then switch back to Ambiance
    This didn't help, I tried switching themes using 'myunity'
    JFYI, I am using the 'Dark ambiance theme' from this link
    http://solancer.blogspot.in/2012/04/...untu-1204.html

And added my own tweak(for application logos) explained in this thread
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2059642
    When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth !!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Mark it [SOLVED] if the issue has been resolved

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

if you were to do a fresh install I'm 99.99% sure this wouldn't be an issue
    I would want to avoid this for 2 reasons:
    a) Using it as dev machine for office chores. Lots of installations
    b) I may again end up doing the-something-silly which triggered this, unless I know what was the reason for this one

EDIT: Can I attach some sort of debugger to collect any logs which might help ?

Edit: if me I'd probably make sure there was an alt. session to log in to, then I'd completely remove 4 unity & 3 nautilus packages & do a restart. After logging in to unity-2d or Classic then re-install the 7 packages
    Can give this a try once I am on high speed network
    Last edited by luvshines; January 12th, 2013 at 08:44 AM.
    When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth !!

Beans

got 12.04 in, haven't noticed anything yet. (other than some initial wierdness with a computer:/// bookmark, not related to your issue

Will do as you've done theme-wise ect. tommorrow as it's late.
    As far as any logs, not sure, you could ck. ~/.xsession-errors or dmseg in /var/log

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Will do as you've done theme-wise ect. tommorrow as it's late.
    It doesn't seem to be the theme stuff doing the mess.
    I have installed a 12.04 VM and trying to repeat everything I could recall I did on my base machine
    Till now, no success. I have tried:
    a) Changing Icon=user-home in nautilus-home.desktop
    b) Installed same theme, using myunity
    c) Moved windows control to right, using ubuntu-tweak
    d) Did the jig I mentioned in my thread, comment#13 http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2041651&page=2, to change the login and wallpaper backgrounds separately

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Finally, I have located the source of error

Comparing all the packages containing the word 'unity' on my base machine and VM, there was one extra package on the base machine
    Code:
     unity-window-quicklists    1.0-1    quicklists to the unity launcher to allow selecting windows
    I had installed that following the instructions given on this link
    http://www.webupd8.org/2012/06/unity...h-between.html

I repeated that on my VM. Installed that package and did the 'sed' fix which has been mentioned.
    My VM also got screwed

So I simply purged the package on the base machine and things are back to normal

Just in case it helps, the file content which it adds is:
    Code:
    cat /etc/xdg/autostart/unity-window-quicklists.desktop 

[Desktop Entry]
    Name=Unity Window Quicklists
    Comment=Helps you find windows in the Unity desktop
    Exec=/usr/bin/quicklists
    Terminal=false
    Type=Application
    Categories=
    OnlyShowIn=Unity;
    AutostartCondition=
    NoDisplay=true
    X-Ubuntu-Gettext-Domain=unity-window-quicklists
    Name[en_GB]=unity-window-quicklists

# And some code(python script) as
    /usr/bin/quicklists
    I haven't been able to debug why this code messes up the functionality

@mc4man
    I really appreciate your help so far. The tests you asked me to perform and narrowing down the scope to nail the error. I had almost given up on this issue, this was my last attempt on the 'bump'
    If I am not asking too much, can you confirm this issue by installing that package and see if it breaks for you too

But the reason I installed this package was that I needed that feature of choosing the open window for the same application.

I hate the animation stuff where the desktop view is zoomed out, all the open windows for same applications are kept side by side and I have to choose based upon the content. It doesn't work well when I have many terminals or chat windows open.

Since I have now purged this package, any workaround to regain that feature ?
    Last edited by luvshines; January 12th, 2013 at 08:35 PM.

Beans

Yep - that package is from a ppa -
    https://launchpad.net/~alanbell/+archive/unity

And now I remember this package - http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1942673
    (the irony is this did 'come up once last year', - to me, forgot all about it, such is..
    There is 1 current 'giveback' I see, the nautilus 'bookmarks' quicklist entries will be disabled, except for items that are there from explicit entries in nautilus-home.desktop (default or user added

It's designed to give you active/dynamic quicklists based on open windows of any particular app
    So when opening multiple windows of same app the individual window listings will show up in the quicklists.
    That's why it gets rid of all the bookmarks (unless they happen to be open.

I knew this sounded familiar - used that package for a short while but stopped using 12.04 fairly soon after release

Edit: I actually found the app useful, what I did to replace the loss of the set bookmarks was to
    "returned the 'Bookmarks' to the panel menu on Desktop focus", ie. rebuild nautilus with a patched source to return that panel menu item
    Last edited by mc4man; January 13th, 2013 at 08:34 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Ah !! It's a known issue. Had been driving me crazy

what I did to replace the loss of the set bookmarks was to "returned the 'Bookmarks' to the panel menu on Desktop focus", ie. rebuild nautilus with a patched source to return that panel menu item
    I didn't get this part.
    Can you elaborate a bit, I would like to try it

Edit: Marking this as SOLVED.

@mc4man
    Thanks a bunch for your sustained support. I would still be waiting for the answer about the query above

PS: For now, I have added indicator-places.py from this link https://github.com/shamil/indicator-places
    Last edited by luvshines; January 14th, 2013 at 10:04 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123