Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wlan0 not detected: TP-Link TL-WN851ND / Ubuntu 10.10 / Compaq Presario SA4000T

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Post wlan0 not detected: TP-Link TL-WN851ND / Ubuntu 10.10 / Compaq Presario SA4000T

While troubleshooting problems with a VPN connection to my work network, I attempted to update the driver for the above wireless adapter (TP-Link TL-WN851ND). That didn't work, so I rolled back to my previous settings, but I have obviously missed something along the way.

Current status:

wlan0 interface is not detected;

Code:
    iwconfig
    lo no wireless extensions
    eth0 no wireless extensions
    vboxnet0 no wireless extensions

Code:
    sue@sue-desktop:~$ ifconfig
    eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:11:2f:46:bd:e1
    UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)
    Interrupt:21 Base address:0xe800

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
    inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
    inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
    UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
    RX packets:12 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:12 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
    RX bytes:720 (720.0 B) TX bytes:720 (720.0 B)

Code:
    sue@sue-desktop:~$ iwconfig wlan0
    wlan0 No such device

The system does see the hardware:

Code:
    sue@sue-desktop:~$ lspci -nn | grep Wireless
    03:03.0 Network controller [0280]: Atheros Communications Inc. AR9287 Wireless Network Adapter [168c:002d] (rev 01)

Other data of note:
    a - system is dual boot, wireless works fine in Windows
    b - wireless works fine when I install the old wireless adapter (Linksys WMP54GR)

How did I get here:
    1 - install ndisgtk through the package manager
    2 - downloaded the latest driver from the the TP-LINK website (TL-WN851ND_v1_110825, netathr.inf). ndisgtk did not accept this a valid driver file.
    3 - loaded the version that came on the CD with the adapter.
    4 - added the following lines to the end of /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
    blacklist ath_pci
    blacklist ath_hal
    blacklist ath9k

5 - configured the wireless connection with the network manager
    6 - reboot - no wireless!
    7 - remove the lines I just added to the file /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
    8 - renamed the file /etc/modprobe.d/ndiswrapper.conf to /etc/modprobe.d/ndiswrapper.conf
    9 - de-installed ndisgtk
    10 - reboot - still no wireless

Any help or pointers will be much appreciated.

thanks - jmr

Beans

Re: wlan0 not detected: TP-Link TL-WN851ND / Ubuntu 10.10 / Compaq Presario SA4000T

Are you still waiting for answers? Did you try to remove atheros modules (ath_pci, ath_hal, ath9k) from modprobe's blacklist? I've ubuntu 10.04.4 box without network adapters and I'm planning to buy TL-WN851ND. On http://www.linux-hardware-guide.com/...51nd-w-lan-pci they say that this card is supported since lucid. Is it true?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

Re: wlan0 not detected: TP-Link TL-WN851ND / Ubuntu 10.10 / Compaq Presario SA4000T

Quote Originally Posted by wrzomar View Post
    Are you still waiting for answers? Did you try to remove atheros modules (ath_pci, ath_hal, ath9k) from modprobe's blacklist? I've ubuntu 10.04.4 box without network adapters and I'm planning to buy TL-WN851ND. On http://www.linux-hardware-guide.com/...51nd-w-lan-pci they say that this card is supported since lucid. Is it true?
    I highly doubt that almost year old post is still waiting. The device he mentioned should work out of the box with ath9k. I'm sorry i missed his original post so I could help him out.

I suspect his actual problem was getting wireless working in Virtual Box.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, Ph.D.

Beans

He said that he had troubles with VPN connection. My eyes played tricks on me because I didn't saw 7th point - he removed these lines from the blacklist. Does ndiswrapper cause his problems? Will this card work from the beginning or I will need to install some other packages e.g. firmware or something?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

Will this card work from the beginning
    Yes.
    or I will need to install some other packages e.g. firmware or something?
    No.

However, sometimes manufacturers change the chipset without changing the version or model. I think you are 90% certain that if you order the exact same product that you will get the exact same chipset and it will work perfectly. Not 100%.

Also, in a few cases, ath9k is troublesome. Search this forum for ath9k before you click Buy Now! This may be of interest: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ighlight=ath9k
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, Ph.D.

Beans

Thanks for fast replies. I'll write if I'd troubles but I think it's the same model. I have AR9285 on my laptop and it's working fine, so far. I'll try to connect rhythmbox (and others) from laptop to desktop's pulseaudio (for better speakers), so I'll know if there will be some connection problems.

Beans

My brand new TP-Link TL-WN851ND is working, but transfer drops every minute, I don't know if its because of card or my over 10 year old desktop. Weird thing with remote pulseaudio is that I can listen my desktop's rhythmbox on laptop's speakers, but can't listen laptop's rhythmbox on desktop's speakers. The weirdest thing is that I can listen laptop's audacious on desktop's speakers so it's rhythmbox's fault.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

My brand new TP-Link TL-WN851ND is working, but transfer drops every minute
    Let's try a driver parameter:
    Code:
    sudo modprobe -r ath9k
    sudo modprobe ath9k nohwcrypt=1
    If it helps, we'll write one quick file and make it persistent.

Beans

Gaps are less frequent if hardware encryption is disabled on both, the desktop and the laptop. I would like to make it permanent and test this configuration some more. It's a little less annoying but still happens. It is network - not localhost - after all
    EDIT
    To make it permanent I must create file in /etc/modprobe.d/ e.g. ath9k.conf with line:
    options ath9k nohwcrypt=1
    or am I wrong?
    Last edited by wrzomar; August 14th, 2013 at 06:47 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

Gaps are less frequent if hardware encryption is disabled on both, the desktop and the laptop. I would like to make it permanent and test this configuration some more. It's a little less annoying but still happens. It is network - not localhost - after all
    EDIT
    To make it permanent I must create file in /etc/modprobe.d/ e.g. ath9k.conf with line:
    options ath9k nohwcrypt=1
    or am I wrong?
    Exactly. I assume you mean /etc/modprobe.d/ath9k.conf. That should do it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast