Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 32-bit or 64-bit? 12.04.1 or 12.10?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: 32-bit or 64-bit? 12.04.1 or 12.10?

I will recommend Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 32-bit version, for more stable system and smooth running of many software and for dedicated working environment. Still now our software industry is not fully prepared for 64 bit OS; as like IP-v4 vs IP-v6 protocol. 64-bit OS will take time to dominate 32-bit OS, it is not a overnight upgrade.

Beans

1) 32-bit vs 64-bit: If you have a 32-bit machine you don't have this option, you have to use 32-bit OS; if you have a 64-bit machine you have this option, and you should use 64-bit OS unless you have a good and valid reason not to. If you use 32-bit OS on a 64-bit machine, you're not using its full potential.

2) Ubuntu 12.04 vs Ubuntu 12.10: You can start by installing and using 12.04 and see how it satisfies your needs. You can then do some research about the new features and improvements built into 12.10. Then you can make a better informed choice between better stability of 12.04 and newer features of 12.10.

This is also a personal preference. I personally upgraded my 64-bit Ubuntu from 12.04 to 12.10 as soon as it was available because I like enjoying new features at the price of a little loss in stability

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Go 64-bit.
    If you want a system where you set it and forget it, go 12.04.
    If you have an inkling of curiosity as to where the open source community is going and have no problem dealing with random issues go with 12.10.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 0gbus View Post
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/32...ld_I_Choose.3F
    http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop

According to the help section, I should choose the 64 bit version of Ubuntu unless I have a reason not to, but according to the download page, the 32 bit version is recommended. Assuming I have a 64-bit processor and less than 4 gigabytes of RAM, which of these should I choose? I know RAM isn't the only memory that counts toward the 4 gigabyte limit, but I don't know how to tell how much other addressable memory is installed. I only have 2.8 gibibytes of RAM, so I'm not sure if it matters anyway.

In addition, 12.04.1 will be supported a while after 12.10 looses support, but 12.10 is more recent. Is it better to use the longer supported version, or is it better to use the version with newer features? Do I even need support? Do I even need newer features? I'm the only one using the computer in question, so whether I upgrade to each new version or only upgrade to long-term supported versions, it won't disrupt other users.

Basically, I was a Mac user, and I can't use a Mac anymore, at least for the time being. It's a bit of a long story. I refuse to downgrade to Windows, so I when Linux instead. Although, I actually like both Ubuntu and Mint better than OS X now that I've tried them, so I don't think I'll be switching back. Anyway, I don't have any major usage requirements, just some functionality that all major operating systems have, such as a modern browser, Java, Python, Apache (for personal use, not public), and some other things that are available with all four (two times two, not two plus two) current versions of Ubuntu. A few games such as SuperTux2, Mystery of Solaris, and Minetest (again, available to all four) wouldn't be bad either. How do I know which version to choose?

My other computer is a Frankenbuild, with a 32-bit processor. So, 64-bit Ubuntu is not an option. However, that computer has four users. It's mainly used by my younger siblings. Does that make a difference in deciding whether to stick with long-term supported versions or using the latest stable version?

Thanks for the advice!
    Ok, go for the 64bit. A 64bit system can run both 64 and 32bit, but the 64 should be faster. As for the RAM, it should be fine as you always have swap.

Before installing, look up all the features of 12.04 and 12.10. If you want maximum stability missing a few features, go for 12.04. If you want the opposite, go for 12.10/ Also, if you don't want to upgrade too often, go for 12.04 as it is an LTS.

Try running all of them as a live CD (if it's possible) and pick whichever you like the best. Or download VM Ware or Virtualbox and try them there, picking your favourite.

As it has so many users, just stick with 12.04, as you know that your hard drive is safe.

Hope my answers are helpful as I'm an XP user, not Linux!
    Last edited by oldos2er; October 28th, 2012 at 10:39 PM. Reason: Please use the default font color.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by calmpitbull View Post
    I have read the posts for this thread and u are the only one saying that 64 is better. I have i7 and 6 ram on my desktop and i wanna install Ubuntu on it, so do u really recommend 64?
    I really, really, really, really, really, REALLY recommend 64-bit *buntu for your 64-bit hardware. Check the Recurring Discussions forum (where this thread should be). Don't believe the FUD. Keep in mind the X86_64 forum here was closed in 2008 with the message "The closure of this forum is based on the fact that 64 bit Ubuntu has matured and there are very few 64 bit specific issues."

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

One more for 64 bit. I have 64 on both my desktop with 4GB of RAM and my laptop with only 1.5GB of RAM. Laptop is below what is suggested but still works. Occasional use of swap but I might have that with 32 bit also. Most say the cross over with RAM is somewhere between 2 & 3GB or with 3GB definitely go 64 bit.

Many of the old arguments on 64 vs. 32 recommended
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-we...nt/+bug/585940

Why Ubuntu officially suggests 32bit (25% have 32bit systems)
    https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ub...il/035088.html

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2028717
    Ubuntu 12.10: 32-bit vs. 64-bit Linux Performance
    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...210_3264&num=1
    Assuming your hardware is x86_64 capable (basically any modern Intel/AMD CPU) and have at least 2GB of RAM, you really should be running the 64-bit version.
    Essentially says if you can use the 64bit kernel you should.April 2011
    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...ty_pae64&num=1
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/32bit_and_64bit
    Ubuntu 32-bit, 32-bit PAE, 64-bit Kernel Benchmarks Dec 2009
    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...u_32_pae&num=1

Linus does not like PAE or 32 bit.
    http://cl4ssic4l.wordpress.com/2011/...lds-about-pae/
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

I have read the posts for this thread and u are the only one saying that 64 is better. I have i7 and 6 ram on my desktop and i wanna install Ubuntu on it, so do u really recommend 64?
    If you use the 32-bit version, you will only be able to use about 2 GB of RAM with normal speeds. Plus progams with a security feature called PIE (such as sshd, init, web browsers, etc) will run significantly more slowely.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Stonecold1995 View Post
    If you use the 32-bit version, you will only be able to use about 2 GB of RAM with normal speeds. Plus progams with a security feature called PIE (such as sshd, init, web browsers, etc) will run significantly more slowely.
    Again?? 64 bit is fine with me, but lets not knock 32 bit with unfounded fact.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

you have a 64 bit processor, why would you want to install 32 bit os on it?

the 32bit is still recomended because after some research it turned out that many people still use 32 bit computers. not everyone in the world has Core i7 or AMD hexacore or whatever they are called.

32 bit comes with PAE kernel which can support up to 64GB ram. so ram is not your worry.

on a side note i use 32bit on 64bit CPU, but then again i only have 1.3GB ram.

ON a new netbook with AMD 450E i also have 2 GB ram (and32bit Windows) however i intend to put 64bit OS on it, becuase it's a 64bit CPU. especially because i can increase the ram to 8GB.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    you have a 64 bit processor, why would you want to install 32 bit os on it?
    Because:
    1. Many softwares don't run smoothly on 64-bit OS as expected.
    2. 4 GB RAM is more than enough to me.
    3. Stability of my working environment is very important to me.
    4. I have many useful old software.

Why ubuntu recommend 32-bit as default?
    Because many softwares are old and they were built around 32-bit OS. Upgrading from 32-bit to 64-bit is not so easy in hardware-software handshake level for many softwares, e.g. system softwares (compilers, assemblers, drivers).

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast