Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: New Laptop Struggles - Lenovo Ideapad z585 - no Grub?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: New Laptop Struggles - Lenovo Ideapad z585 - no Grub?

@Paver,

No, recovery mode is not the live cd. First, try what I suggested in post #28, adding a boot parameter on the current installation. You can do that by editing the boot lines in the grub boot menu, as explained in that post.
    In case you have only ubuntu and don't see the grub boot menu, hold Shift while booting to display it.

The recovery mode is an entry in the grub boot menu. By default, in it you will have something like:
    Ubuntu XXXXX
    Ubuntu XXXXX (recovery mode)

That's it. If you select it, it will show a small menu in which you will have the option 'Drop to root shell' which will open a read-only command line as root.
    To remount it as RW, in that command line you simply execute:
    Code:
    mount -o remount,rw /
    Check the boot parameter approach first, and if you need to install drivers from the root shell we can discuss that later.
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 14.04 LTS 64bit & Windows 10 Pro 64bit

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by darkod View Post
    @Paver,

No, recovery mode is not the live cd. First, try what I suggested in post #28, adding a boot parameter on the current installation. You can do that by editing the boot lines in the grub boot menu, as explained in that post.
    In case you have only ubuntu and don't see the grub boot menu, hold Shift while booting to display it.

The recovery mode is an entry in the grub boot menu. By default, in it you will have something like:
    Ubuntu XXXXX
    Ubuntu XXXXX (recovery mode)

That's it. If you select it, it will show a small menu in which you will have the option 'Drop to root shell' which will open a read-only command line as root.
    To remount it as RW, in that command line you simply execute:
    Code:
    mount -o remount,rw /
    Check the boot parameter approach first, and if you need to install drivers from the root shell we can discuss that later.
    My problem is I do not have a Linux install. I have successfully installed Win 7 Premium Home Version. When I try to install LM13 (Ubuntu 12.04), I can not get past the menu referenced in previous post.

Later today I will try a pure Ubuntu 12.04 LTS or 12.10 iso to see if that makes a difference. If that fails, I will wipe the hard drive & start with LM13 &/or Ubuntu to see if I can load a Linux OS on this machine. In reference to YannBuntu's response, I know the Z585 can start the live session, my guess is there has to be a breakdown in support for this APU. Unless a solution falls in my lap, it looks like LM13 will require a lot research to get it up & running.

The fact that Minipalmer has got Ubuntu 12.10 to load on this model makes me lean towards a problem with the LM13 build.

I will work on this today, but with the work week coming, I will be limited on how much time I can dedicate to this.

This tread has shed more light on my situation than the previous 2 weeks of research. I will report back as I progress.

Thanks to all that have posted on this thread & for Minipalmer for starting it.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Paver

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

@Paver
    I didn't understand that you don't even have any linux installed and are trying LM, not Ubuntu. In that case it's better to get advice on their forum since it's not identical to Ubuntu.

If you do try the Ubuntu 12.04 LTS cd and it doesn't boot to start the install, you can come back here and ask for advice or google how to add boot parameters to ubuntu live cd (I'm sure there are plenty on google) and for ATI try with the parameter radeon.modeset=0 or radeon.modeset=1.
    Darko.

Beans

Well, it's back to google & the post in this thread. I downloaded Ubuntu 12.10 & put it on DVD. Same ol Same blinking _ (cusor).

As time permits this week, I will further my research & carry on.

Beans

Loaded into recovery mode. Some lines of text that show the OS booting up, then interrupted by the blinking cursor of death. Can't type, can't access anything. Ideas? I don't really understand why everything runs like a well-oiled machine on the live USB but not on the HDD. Well, let's keep thinking...
    Lenovo Ideapad Z585 with the latest Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hmmm, even recovery mode doesn't load up? And usually when a live session runs fine, you expect the same from the installed system.

You might have another issue, that something got corrupted or similar. I don't have much hope it will help but you might as well run fsck on the root partition (you need to know which partition is root). From live session, run it like:
    sudo fsck /dev/sdaX

and use the correct root partition in the command. It has to be run from a live session since it needs to be unmounted when running the fsck.
    Darko.

Beans

When you say root partition I assume that you are referring to the primary Ubuntu partition?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Minipalmer View Post
    When you say root partition I assume that you are referring to the primary Ubuntu partition?
    Yeap, the primary system partition is called root partition, mount point /
    Darko.

Beans

Hey guys, now that its the holidays I have finally gotten around to working on this again.

I tried darko's suggestion and got the following:
    Code:
    fsck from util-linux 2.20.1
    e2fsck 1.42.5 (29-Jul-2012)
    /dev/sda5: clean, 178686/30736384 files, 2650735/122938112 blocks
    Any ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

That looks good, it says /dev/sda5: clean.
    Unfortunately that doesn't explain why the installed version doesn't work. Maybe it's time to consider backing up the data inside ubuntu (if any), and try a new install. I'm just fishing here, I don't see why it would work now and it didn't before, but sometimes it does happen.
    Darko.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast