Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 12.04, bcm4311, need off-line way to fix it

squakie is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

12.04, bcm4311, need off-line way to fix it

I have an old dell laptop that has a bcm4311 wireless adapter. All of the instructions I have found so far are for when you can have a wire connecting to the router first so you are online. I don't have that option. Is there some way to do this off-line - perhaps downloading something on another computer then install it some how on the laptop?

I also posted in this thread but it is from July so I don't know if anyone is watching it any more.
    Last edited by squakie; June 26th, 2013 at 04:34 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: 12.04, bcm4311, need off-line way to fix it

Went to a friend's place so I could direct connect to the router and tried all kinds of things mentioned on this forum and in posts on the internet - installing the bcml(?)-kernel-source, trying just additional drivers, etc.. None of this is working. Apt kicks out the attempts at getting the kernel-source saying the 3 packages dkmg (?), fakeroot and the bcmlx-kernel-source, saying they couldn't be found. I even had the livecd in and it wouldn't find them. I tried installing those packages separately via the software center but it won't let me click on "install" - apparently it doesn't follow the same path or something as it doesn't even say it couldn't find it. The additional drivers hangs at about 10 or so percent (judging by a progress bar) and never goes any further, never gives any error messages.

I do have an external USB adapter I could try to use, but why should I have to do that when I have an internal adapter that apparently from all the posts can be made to work with ubuntu?

Unless someone can give me some kind of pointer(s), I may have to just skip putting ubuntu on the laptop and go back to it's old OS - it's just that I would prefer Ubuntu.

Beans
    Hidden!

Hi, you probably would have gotten better results for help had
    you posted this in the network/wireless section of the forum. Please
    post the results of..

Code:
    lspci -nn | grep 0280
    thanks
    Craving anchovy, herring and squid pizza.....with clam sauce

Beans
    Hidden!

Hi, here is the link for installing the drivers you need, offline
    *read carefully*

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Br...%28Wireless%29
    Craving anchovy, herring and squid pizza.....with clam sauce

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I'll give that a closer look, but it looks like what I already tried that didn't work. I also did post in the networking forum, in a post from July that was about this same thing, but an admin closed it right after I posted saying it was an old thread.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Well, I used the USB wifi adapter I had to just completely reinstall 12.04 32 bit. I selected the options to download software and 3rd party. Everything went fine. I then looked in additional drivers and it said the b43 sta driver was loaded. So, I followed the link and installed the pieces as indicated. Still no luck, no access to the built in wireless. I then ran the update-manager - it installed a lot of things and then even my USB wireless quit. I don't even get the network manager "icon". I really don't understand this, so I guess I'll just give up on the laptop using Ubuntu and just keep my dual-boot on the desktop.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Hi, Download the b43 zip file to a flash drive then drag and drop the file to your ubuntudesktop. Right-click it and select Extract Here. Open a terminal and do:
    Code:
    sudo mkdir /lib/firmware/b43
    sudo cp Desktop/b43/* /lib/firmware/b43
    sudo rmmod -f b43
    sudo rmmod -f ssb
    sudo modprobe b43
    Thanks
    Last edited by wildmanne39; February 10th, 2013 at 06:56 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by squakie View Post
    Well, I used the USB wifi adapter I had to just completely reinstall 12.04 32 bit. I selected the options to download software and 3rd party. Everything went fine. I then looked in additional drivers and it said the b43 sta driver was loaded. So, I followed the link and installed the pieces as indicated. Still no luck, no access to the built in wireless. I then ran the update-manager - it installed a lot of things and then even my USB wireless quit. I don't even get the network manager "icon". I really don't understand this, so I guess I'll just give up on the laptop using Ubuntu and just keep my dual-boot on the desktop.
    Hi. For the drivers that Wild Man has suggested to work the STA driver must be removed. In a terminal run
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove bcmwl-kernel source
    before you install the b43 drivers and run the commands. Do not reboot the system until you have the b43 drivers installed and working.

Thank you

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Wild Man and westie457, that's exactly what I needed - THANKS!! I installed the firmware cutter, then the b43 firmware folder, then I found I also needed to delete the bcmwl-kernel-source package and now it works great! Can't thank you enough!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Your welcome!
    Enjoy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast