Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kim Dotcoms MEGA?

Beans

Kim Dotcoms MEGA?

I have been trying out MEGA using Ubuntu 12.04, it really expects Chrome browser, so I have been using the repository Chromium and also Google Chrome. In many ways it works surprisingly well. However, the test I was mostly using was upload of a folder containing a total of approximately 650 small-ish files. In several tests over a couple of days now, I found that the browser crashed after some time. Inconveneint because the upload set then is not recoverable, and it seems not possible to collate, compare, whatever, the then partial upload.
    I then tried first compressing the files into a single archive file, and this uploaded fast without problem (65MB or so).
    I conclude so far that, for me, whatever is happening in the browser for multiple files, is not yet stable.

Anyone any experiences?

Edit: Just tried again, it crashed after approximately 150 files uploaded. The (Edit) memory used had increased from initial 20% to 50% (of 4GB) FWIW.
    Last edited by candtalan; January 27th, 2013 at 09:53 AM. Reason: more information, typo 'swap' should have read 'memory', now changed, apologies

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Kim Dotcoms MEGA?

Yes I've read quite a bit about mega running into server and bandwidth issues regarding it's popularity. A lot of press was given to it's launch. Note that's just tech writers, I've never tried it, I've been using adrive for quite a while now and have a lot uploaded there, so changing clouds seems a bit of effort!

Have you had a chance to try any larger files? Hopefully any initial launch bugs in the service will be short lived

Beans
    Hidden!

It is early days, I signed up... used it once or twice, worked for what I was using. Anyway, 50GB for free, yes please

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by not found View Post
    It is early days, I signed up... used it once or twice, worked for what I was using. Anyway, 50GB for free, yes please

eagerly awaiting linux client for syncing (not filling my ubuntu one with my music)
    i have a bandwidth limit (100gb) over my head so i will wait for the 31st to upload my stuff
    edit: *does math* make that the 30th (not spending 7hrs uploading in one day)
    Last edited by pqwoerituytrueiwoq; January 26th, 2013 at 04:44 AM.
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans

I am now trying a large single file, but after a few hours so far looking good, I notice that the (edit) memory is steadily getting eaten, steadily rising. this doe not bode well, but we will see

Edit: typo for 'swap' read 'memory'. Now changed to read correctly
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by candtalan; January 27th, 2013 at 09:55 AM. Reason: typo

Beans

20 minutes later, another screenshot of the situation. Note (edit) memory use change and time

Edit typo correction 'memory' now has replaced the incorrect 'swap'
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by candtalan; January 27th, 2013 at 09:57 AM. Reason: typo, correction

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

no change in swap, but your ram usage went up 200MB
    edit:
    you just edited your post to fix that
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by candtalan View Post
    20 minutes later, another screenshot of the situation. Note swap use change and time

correction for swap read 'memory'
    I don't see any change in swap... 88kb?!

Beans

for any one interested I am working on a ubuntu client in my free time, got auth working but there's limited info for developers so a lot of tile and errors

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by not found View Post
    I looked at the free option, but I couldn't find where the signup form said what I would be signing up for. It also didn't seem to say which would be the username or login. When you signed up, did you find any info like that? Can you post a link? 50GB for free is nothing to turn down if there aren't any hidden gotchas.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast