Thread: Upgrading to 12.04

Beans

Upgrading to 12.04

Bit of a problem here. I'm running 11.10 and today (the Big Day) I decided to upgrade to 12.04. Trouble is when I click on "Upgrade" in the Update Manager after a short time I get a message "Could not download the release notes" "Check your internet connection". There's nothing wrong with my Internet Connection, at least not for Firefox or Evolution. So what's up? And what do I do to get the shiny new Ubuntu version?

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Upgrading to 12.04

hey there, as you'll appreciate, there is a huge strain on the servers atm. Everything is at an absolute crawl, as you'd expect with a brand new release. You may need to wait a few more hours to upgrade...
    Windows free since '09 - never looked back!

Beans

Exclamation Re: Upgrading to 12.04

I just upgraded to 12.04 as well, I am having some serious issues. I tried to go in to the system settings right away, and it won't pull up at all. Nor will any of my settings. It also uninstalled my wireless internet driver, but I can fix that. If anybody has any clue how to help, would be much appreciated.

Beans

Thanks a lot, Baldrick. I wondered if it might be something like that. Since it's a long term release, I guess I can do without it for a few more days & try later.

Yrs, Blackadder_UK(!)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by chrisc10 View Post
    I just upgraded to 12.04 as well, I am having some serious issues. I tried to go in to the system settings right away, and it won't pull up at all. Nor will any of my settings. It also uninstalled my wireless internet driver, but I can fix that. If anybody has any clue how to help, would be much appreciated.
    It's rude to hijack someone else's thread with your problems. Please start your own thread.
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Phelps View Post
    It's rude to hijack someone else's thread with your problems. Please start your own thread.
    Sorry, http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1966000

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I kept getting this 'cannot download release notes' problem with the 'normal' upgrades offered so decided to wait until the LTS version became available only to find the same problem!

Searching the various online forums there was a huge array of complicated solution options usually about repositories which as a non geek I found really off-putting. One word kept appearing though - ' proxy'.

I use a basic laptop with home broadband through a router etc for 99% of my online activity BUT on occasion I go into public networks some of which do require me to change the proxy server settings. Usually I do this on the browser and switch back at the end of the session. But I wondered 'what if' something gets switched over somewhere else, and sure enough when I looked in System - Preferences - Network Proxy there was my manual proxy public library setting.

I deleted this proxy setting (even though it hasn't been used for some time and was not interfering with anything else), checked the default setting was 'no proxy', returned to the Upgrade Manager and this time it allowed me to proceed with the upgrade process.

Just thought I would post my solution on the most recent 'most similar to' thread as it may just help someone else!

Now to complete the upgrade ...

Karen

Beans

I know alot of people will say they have no problems selecting 'upgrade' from the manager to get the latest release, but my thought on this, is that if your going to get the latest LTS, do a clean install.

You've already backed up important files, correct? Start fresh and clean for the next 5 years with a brand new install.

Just my thought ....