Thread: unable to find a medium containing a live file system (ntfs)

Beans

Unhappy unable to find a medium containing a live file system (ntfs)

Hello Ubuntu Forums, I'd like some advice on a problem I've been facing. I'm not an outsider but no expert either, have a bit of experience with Ubuntu, but I can't seem to solve this problem.

I don't have a log, actually, because I don't know how to, and I have a feeling we're going to be doing some troubleshooting here. Basically, when I boot to the live image of Ubuntu 12.10 (I tried with 12.04 as well, same error) it keeps looping the splash screen for a couple minutes until it gives me the message:

"unable to find a medium containing a live file system (ntfs)"

And gets me to a console screen in which I really don't know what to do or how to get much done to help me. Something I tried as well was trying to boot on noquiet nosplash nomodeset (I saw that in another thread) and it looped like the other time, but this time I could actually take a peek and attempt to understand what was going on. Well, I remember that it would keep looping between all my drives and outputting something about a corrupt file system.

The thing is, a corrupt file system could explain the situation. Or at least if I wasn't able to run Windows 7 perfectly fine with access to all my files and drives normally. I don't know what's happening, and most threads I looked at gave me different solutions.

My specifications are in the box below:
    Code:
    Summary
    		Operating System
    			Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
    		CPU
    			Intel Core i7 2600K @ 3.40GHz	48 °C
    			Sandy Bridge 32nm Technology
    		RAM
    			16,0 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 802MHz (9-9-9-24)
    		Motherboard
    			Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. Z68MA-D2H-B3 (Socket 1155)	40 °C
    		Graphics
    			SMB2230 (1920x1080@60Hz)
    			1535MB GeForce GTX 580 (EVGA)	50 °C
    		Hard Drives
    			149GB FUJITSU MAXTOR STM3160215AS ATA Device (SATA)	39 °C
    			1863GB Seagate ST2000DM001-9YN164 ATA Device (SATA)	37 °C
    			466GB SAMSUNG HD502HI ATA Device (SATA)	26 °C
    		Optical Drives
    			TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S223B ATA Device
    		Audio
    			Realtek High Definition Audio
    Help would be greatly appreciated.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: unable to find a medium containing a live file system (ntfs)

Looks like the devil is installed on your hdd refusing everything but crappy winbloz. So remove the make crap.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dino99 View Post
    Looks like the devil is installed on your hdd refusing everything but crappy winbloz. So remove the make crap.
    If that was the problem I'd be fine. I have three HDDs here as you can see from my specs, and one of them is completely empty and other not even formatted.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

ubuntu (linux ) dont use ntfs, even if its able to read/write with. So your title seems inapropriate here.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...14&postcount=9

Beans

When I previously installed Ubuntu, I remember it being able to set up ext4 partitions for me during installation, and not crashing before I'm able to do anything, so that's why I thought it was suitable to post this here.

Anyways, I'm going to try setting up my Partitions with Parted Magic, hope it works, thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Disconnect all the drives except the blank one where you're planning to install Ubuntu -- and try again. IF you get some kind of error message like "no operating system", that means your PC is trying to boot from the blank drive, not from the Ubuntu installation media.
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Because you have in i7, your motherboard is UEFI/BIOS. So is Windows installed in UEFI with gpt partitioning or in BIOS with MBR partiting?

When you install Ubuntu you need to use the same UEFI or BIOS mode. Only the 64 bit version supports UEFI and has to be booted into the efi live mode to install in UEFI mode.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.