Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: software updater closing

Beans

software updater closing

Hello

I am running 12.10 and have the following problem:

When i start the software updater it opens and displays some software to update. I click update now and then it asks for password. As soon as i have typed 2 or 3 letters it closes.

Software to be updated was mplayer and some codecs

Anyone got any ideas ?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: software updater closing

well, What I would do in this case :
    start with terminal codes
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    take action on the errors generated and heed dpkg's advise .

Depending on this, is what to do next .
    hth <==BDQ

Beans

when i click on Software Update icon, it spends some time searching then get this error message

Failed to download repository information
    check your internet connection

I have very good internet connection. About 28 Mbps.
    In the detailes box I ge this

W:Failed to fetch cdrom://Ubuntu 12.10 _Quantal Quetzal_ - Release amd64 (20121017.5)/dists/quantal/main/binary-amd64/Packages Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs
    , W:Failed to fetch cdrom://Ubuntu 12.10 _Quantal Quetzal_ - Release amd64 (20121017.5)/dists/quantal/restricted/binary-amd64/Packages Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs
    , W:Failed to fetch cdrom://Ubuntu 12.10 _Quantal Quetzal_ - Release amd64 (20121017.5)/dists/quantal/main/binary-i386/Packages Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs
    , W:Failed to fetch cdrom://Ubuntu 12.10 _Quantal Quetzal_ - Release amd64 (20121017.5)/dists/quantal/restricted/binary-i386/Packages Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs
    , W:Failed to fetch bzip2:/var/lib/apt/lists/partial/extras.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_quantal_main_source _Sources Hash Sum mismatch
    , W:Failed to fetch bzip2:/var/lib/apt/lists/partial/extras.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_quantal_main_binary-i386_Packages Hash Sum mismatch
    , W:Failed to fetch bzip2:/var/lib/apt/lists/partial/archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_quantal_main_sourc e_Sources Hash Sum mismatch
    , W:Failed to fetch bzip2:/var/lib/apt/lists/partial/archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_quantal_universe_s ource_Sources Hash Sum mismatch
    , W:Failed to fetch bzip2:/var/lib/apt/lists/partial/archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_quantal_multiverse _source_Sources Hash Sum mismatch
    , W:Failed to fetch bzip2:/var/lib/apt/lists/partial/archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_quantal_universe_b inary-amd64_Packages Hash Sum mismatch
    , W:Failed to fetch bzip2:/var/lib/apt/lists/partial/archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_quantal_multiverse _binary-amd64_Packages Hash Sum mismatch
    , W:Failed to fetch bzip2:/var/lib/apt/lists/partial/archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_quantal_main_binar y-i386_Packages Hash Sum mismatch
    , W:Failed to fetch bzip2:/var/lib/apt/lists/partial/archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_quantal_universe_b inary-i386_Packages Hash Sum mismatch
    , W:Failed to fetch bzip2:/var/lib/apt/lists/partial/archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_quantal_multiverse _binary-i386_Packages Hash Sum mismatch
    , E:Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

@cstoh
    You should start your own thread instead of hi-jacking another users thread.

W:Failed to fetch cdrom://Ubuntu 12.10 _Quantal Quetzal_ - Release amd64 (20121017.5)/dists/quantal/main/binary-amd64/Packages Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs
    Disable the CDrom as a sources using the Settings button for the Update Manager.

W:Failed to fetch bzip2:/var/lib/apt/lists/partial/extras.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_quantal_main_source _Sources Hash Sum mismatch
    Open a terminal and run
    Code:
    sudo rm /var/lib/apt/lists/partial/* -vf
    and then run
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    again and see if you get the same error.

Good Luck
    Hypertension = Take with a pinch of salt
    | Psychocats | Ubuntu Documentation | Howto [Solved] | BBcode list | Brother Website |

Beans

I followed your instructions but at the end of "apt-get update" I get this bunch of error messages. What does it mean and how do I fix it?

W: Failed to fetch bzip2:/var/lib/apt/lists/partial/extras.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_quantal_main_source _Sources Hash Sum mismatch

W: Failed to fetch bzip2:/var/lib/apt/lists/partial/extras.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_quantal_main_binary-i386_Packages Hash Sum mismatch

W: Failed to fetch bzip2:/var/lib/apt/lists/partial/archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_quantal_main_sourc e_Sources Hash Sum mismatch

W: Failed to fetch bzip2:/var/lib/apt/lists/partial/archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_quantal_universe_s ource_Sources Hash Sum mismatch

W: Failed to fetch bzip2:/var/lib/apt/lists/partial/archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_quantal_multiverse _source_Sources Hash Sum mismatch

W: Failed to fetch bzip2:/var/lib/apt/lists/partial/archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_quantal_universe_b inary-amd64_Packages Hash Sum mismatch

W: Failed to fetch bzip2:/var/lib/apt/lists/partial/archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_quantal_multiverse _binary-amd64_Packages Hash Sum mismatch

W: Failed to fetch bzip2:/var/lib/apt/lists/partial/archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_quantal_main_binar y-i386_Packages Hash Sum mismatch

W: Failed to fetch bzip2:/var/lib/apt/lists/partial/archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_quantal_universe_b inary-i386_Packages Hash Sum mismatch

W: Failed to fetch bzip2:/var/lib/apt/lists/partial/archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_quantal_multiverse _binary-i386_Packages Hash Sum mismatch

E: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

Beans

I clicked on the Spftware Updater and got similar error messages except for the earlier lines which mentions the CDROM.

W:Failed to fetch bzip2:/var/lib/apt/lists/partial/extras.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_quantal_main_source _Sources Hash Sum mismatch
    , W:Failed to fetch bzip2:/var/lib/apt/lists/partial/extras.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_quantal_main_binary-i386_Packages Hash Sum mismatch
    , W:Failed to fetch bzip2:/var/lib/apt/lists/partial/archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_quantal_main_sourc e_Sources Hash Sum mismatch
    , W:Failed to fetch bzip2:/var/lib/apt/lists/partial/archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_quantal_universe_s ource_Sources Hash Sum mismatch
    , W:Failed to fetch bzip2:/var/lib/apt/lists/partial/archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_quantal_multiverse _source_Sources Hash Sum mismatch
    , W:Failed to fetch bzip2:/var/lib/apt/lists/partial/archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_quantal_universe_b inary-amd64_Packages Hash Sum mismatch
    , W:Failed to fetch bzip2:/var/lib/apt/lists/partial/archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_quantal_multiverse _binary-amd64_Packages Hash Sum mismatch
    , W:Failed to fetch bzip2:/var/lib/apt/lists/partial/archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_quantal_main_binar y-i386_Packages Hash Sum mismatch
    , W:Failed to fetch bzip2:/var/lib/apt/lists/partial/archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_quantal_universe_b inary-i386_Packages Hash Sum mismatch
    , W:Failed to fetch bzip2:/var/lib/apt/lists/partial/archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_quantal_multiverse _binary-i386_Packages Hash Sum mismatch
    , E:Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Can you see if the directory is empty
    Code:
    ls /var/lib/apt/lists/partial/
    Then run the "sudo rm" command again and then check the directory is now empty.There should be nothing in that directory.

If it still gives you the same error,try changing the Download server to the main server using Software Sources and try again.

Good Luck
    Hypertension = Take with a pinch of salt
    | Psychocats | Ubuntu Documentation | Howto [Solved] | BBcode list | Brother Website |

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

This problem appear when some repository are not exist.

Beans

ls /var/lib/apt/lists/partial/
    gave this result, so its obviously not empty

archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_quantal_main_binar y-i386_Packages
    archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_quantal_main_binar y-i386_Packages.decomp.FAILED
    archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_quantal_main_sourc e_Sources
    archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_quantal_main_sourc e_Sources.decomp.FAILED
    archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_quantal_multiverse _binary-amd64_Packages
    archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_quantal_multiverse _binary-amd64_Packages.decomp.FAILED
    archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_quantal_multiverse _binary-i386_Packages
    archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_quantal_multiverse _binary-i386_Packages.decomp.FAILED
    archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_quantal_multiverse _source_Sources
    archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_quantal_multiverse _source_Sources.decomp.FAILED
    archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_quantal_universe_b inary-amd64_Packages
    archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_quantal_universe_b inary-amd64_Packages.decomp.FAILED
    archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_quantal_universe_b inary-i386_Packages
    archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_quantal_universe_b inary-i386_Packages.decomp.FAILED
    archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_quantal_universe_s ource_Sources
    archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_quantal_universe_s ource_Sources.decomp.FAILED
    extras.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_quantal_main_binary-i386_Packages
    extras.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_quantal_main_binary-i386_Packages.decomp.FAILED
    extras.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_quantal_main_source _Sources
    extras.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_quantal_main_source _Sources.decomp.FAILED

Beans

After running "rm /var/lib/apt/lists/partial/* -vf" I verified that it was empty. But after running "apt-get update" I got the same error messages as the upper post. I had changed the server to Main Server is the Software Soources. So it looks like that doesn't help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast