Thread: Second Dual Boot Screen after Grub Menu? (Need help!)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Cool Second Dual Boot Screen after Grub Menu? (Need help!)

Hi,
    here's the run through:

1. I turn on my computer
    2. Splash Loading Screen
    3. Grub menu (where I choose whether to boot into 12.04 or Windows 7)
    4. [This is where my issue is] If I select to boot into Windows in step 3, a 2nd Dual Boot Screen appears, where I have to again select between Ubuntu and Windows. If I select Windows, it boots up fine but if I select Ubuntu nothing happens.

I want to get rid of this 2nd Dual Boot Screen because I find it unnecessary. Anyone knows how to do this?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Second Dual Boot Screen after Grub Menu? (Need help!)

What's the output of:
    Code:
    cat /boot/grub/grub.cfg
    +Solace @DeviantArt | Awesome Guide | Beginners Team Member
    Canadian Forces 2007-present

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by elise17 View Post
    [This is where my issue is] If I select to boot into Windows in step 3, a 2nd Dual Boot Screen appears, where I have to again select between Ubuntu and Windows. If I select Windows, it boots up fine but if I select Ubuntu nothing happens.

I want to get rid of this 2nd Dual Boot Screen because I find it unnecessary. Anyone knows how to do this?
    What has happened is that a boot entry for Ubuntu has been added to your Win7 boot loader. The only way I know for sure that this happens is if you install using Wubi -- as that uses the Windows boot loader to launch the menu.

Since that selection does nothing, my guess is either that you (1) installed using Wubi and later removed that install, or (2) tried to install using Wubi and it only partially worked.

If you know FOR SURE that your Ubuntu installation is in its own partition OUTSIDE of Windows, then you should do the following in Win7:
    1) Download and install EasyBCD from the NeoSmart Technology Forums
    2) Launch EasyBCD, Click the Edit Boot Menu button, select the Ubuntu menu item -- and delete it. Click the Save Settings icon (looks like a diskette).

When you then reboot and select Win7, you should not be getting a menu screen anymore.
    Ubuntu 16.04 Mate, Mint 18 Mate; MS Win 8.1, MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Phelps View Post
    What has happened is that a boot entry for Ubuntu has been added to your Win7 boot loader. The only way I know for sure that this happens is if you install using Wubi -- as that uses the Windows boot loader to launch the menu.

Since that selection does nothing, my guess is either that you (1) installed using Wubi and later removed that install, or (2) tried to install using Wubi and it only partially worked.

If you know FOR SURE that your Ubuntu installation is in its own partition OUTSIDE of Windows, then you should do the following in Win7:
    1) Download and install EasyBCD from the NeoSmart Technology Forums
    2) Launch EasyBCD, Click the Edit Boot Menu button, select the Ubuntu menu item -- and delete it. Click the Save Settings icon (looks like a diskette).

When you then reboot and select Win7, you should not be getting a menu screen anymore.
    My current Ubuntu Installation is definitely in a separate partition, I'll install EasyBCD in Windows and see if it works, thanks!

Beans
    Distro

It works great, 2nd dual boot screen gone. Thank You Mark Phelps!