Thread: Ubuntu Customization Kit

Beans

Wink Ubuntu Customization Kit

Hi,

I downloaded and installed the deb file for UCK from their site. It installed OK with dependencies. I have a shortcut under system tools but when I run it all I get is the terminal window and no welcome screen.

I would have preferred to get it through a repository but no go. Would like to know the repo so i can add it synaptic for re-install

Any ideas or suggestions to get it running appreciated

Cheers
    Last edited by 1971; October 26th, 2012 at 05:02 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Ubuntu Customization Kit

Which version of Lubuntu are you using?
    Shortened urls: See point #11 here. And clicking on them could be risky.
    Use ubuntu-support-status with caution.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    which version of lubuntu are you using?

Beans

Just tried to install UCK on Lubuntu 12.10 and am experiencing exactly the same issue. The UCK icon is listed there under System Tools, but when I open it all that appears is a blank LXTerminal screen - no Welcome Screen. Tried installing from Synaptic and command-line, with the same result.

Anyone have a solution for this?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by WorBry View Post
    Just tried to install UCK on Lubuntu 12.10 and am experiencing exactly the same issue. The UCK icon is listed there under System Tools, but when I open it all that appears is a blank LXTerminal screen - no Welcome Screen. Tried installing from Synaptic and command-line, with the same result.

Anyone have a solution for this?
    Is it supposed to work for vanilla Lubuntu?

Beans

I had assumed it was applicable to all of the Ubuntu derivatives, but looking at the description on the sourceforge UCK project page it states

"Ubuntu Customization Kit is a tool that helps you customizing official Ubuntu Live CDs (including Kubuntu/Xubuntu and Edubuntu) to your needs".

Indeed, no specific mention of Lubuntu - so maybe not?

Beans
    Distro

You can ask here: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/lubuntu-users
    That's one of the places where the Lubuntu folk hang out.

Beans

Thanks. Decided the best solution was to install Xubuntu (Ubuntu won't run on my old PC) as a dual-boot next to my Lubuntu system. The Ubuntu Customization Kit (latest stable 2.4.7) installed without any problems on Xubuntu, but it now lacks an integrated package manager (synaptic), so customization has to be done through the Console (terminal). Given my (as yet) limited knowledge of command line instructions I've only tested fairly basic customizations of the Xubuntu 12.10 Live ISO. It appears to work OK. The only bug was that it produced a message at the end of the build stating that I chose to create a hybrid USB ISO (which I didn't) and that the command could not be found. Ignore that and the ISO works fine.

Also tried Ubuntu Builder. Now that does include a synaptic and again appeared to work OK. Only problem was that afterwards the host Xubuntu system starting crashing applications left right and centre and I had to re-install it (since learned how to back-up with Clonezilla) - from what I've read it's some bug (loop-back?) with the virtual mounting system used to 'test' the build before burning.
    Last edited by WorBry; March 7th, 2013 at 06:24 PM.