Thread: Installation of ATI driver

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Installation of ATI driver

Will someone please help how to install an ATI driver for Graphic Card on Linux Edubuntu 7.04! The general problem is to find the driver at all. I've searched the whole Internet and all I found was one driver with .run extension. And I don't know how to install this kind of files.
    With the installation cd all they provide is driver for the MS Windows systems.

Thanx!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Installation of ATI driver

Will someone please help how to install an ATI driver for Graphic Card on Linux Edubuntu 7.04!
    Are you serious about the verion 7.04? This is from 2007 and therefore long out of support.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Installation of ATI driver

viktorjano, you should try and download a more recent version of Edubuntu. I suggest going with Edubuntu 12.04.1 since it is an LTS.

There is however Edubuntu 12.10 if you must be using the latest and greatest.

You can download it here, and it is free.
    http://www.edubuntu.org/download

It would help us to help you if we knew what AMD/ATi card you actually have.
    Are you installing this on a laptop or maybe a desktop?

In newer versions of Ubuntu & Edubuntu (like in 12.04), to install a .run file is pretty easy.

Right click it -> Go to Properties -> Permissions Tab -> Make sure "Allow execute" is ticked.

Then just double click the installer (the .run file) and when prompted, click the "Run" button. After that it should be pretty self explanatory.

However it might be better if you used the driver from Ubuntu/Edubuntu's repository, since the one from there will properly set itself up on your system.