Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yet another reason why I need to keep Windows.

Beans

Yet another reason why I need to keep Windows.

Hi All,

So I was working in Ubuntu 12.04 and I needed to format a 4gb USB stik. I clicked on the Home Folder icon and then right clicked on the stik. Nothing about formatting. Hmm... So I did a google search and discovered you have to use the Disk Utility to format. OK. I fired up the Disk Utility and tried again for format. It kept saying "Device Busy". Hmmm... OK, so I googled this error and did not find any clear solutions. One person said a reboot fixed the problem. I tried that. Didn't work. And when I clicked on Format button in Disk Utility, it didn't say what file system it would use for the format. I needed Fat32 and I couldn't see any way of telling what file system it would use for the format. I could have googled this problem also but at this point I threw up my hands and said "The heck with this!" Only one thing to do:

Windows to The Rescue! Yes, that's right, rather than spending another hour or more trying to simply format a USB stik using Ubuntu, I fired up Windows and was able to Fat32 format the stik in about 15 seconds.

Stuff like this happens *all the time*. This is why I need to keep Windows around. And is probably why Ubuntu and Linux remain at less than 1% of desktops.

I love the idea of open source and I totally support it (and I donate to the Ubuntu Foundation), but for the average user, it's far far away from ready for Prime Time.

Thank goodness I still have Windows.

OK, I just wanted to vent a little. I feel better now. Later on I'll revisit the problem of how to format a stik in Ubuntu.

Kind Regards,

Advait
    MSI Bravo 15 AMD Ryzen 7 4800H 15.6" 40GB A4DDR-212IN, 2TB nvme (Ubuntu 22.04 LTS Gnome) and 500GB nvme (also Ubuntu 22.04 LTS Gnome as a backup)

Here, There and Everywhere.

Beans

Re: Yet another reason why I need to keep Windows.

Alternatively you could have asked on Ubuntu Forums and probably get a response in under 1 hour:

Make sure your memory stick is unmounted:

sudo mkfs.vfat /dev/sdc1

replace sdc1 (with the partition of your memory stick)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Advait View Post

Stuff like this happens *all the time*. This is why I need to keep Windows around. And is probably why Ubuntu and Linux remain at less than 1% of desktops.
    Thread moved to Recurring Discussions.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

If you really need Windows because you can't figure how to format a usb in Ubuntu, I would suggest just sticking with Windows. You will likely find Ubuntu to be just too frustrating.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Advait View Post
    Hi All,

So I was working in Ubuntu 12.04 and I needed to format a 4gb USB stik. I clicked on the Home Folder icon and then right clicked on the stik. Nothing about formatting. Hmm... So I did a google search and discovered you have to use the Disk Utility to format. OK. I fired up the Disk Utility and tried again for format. It kept saying "Device Busy".
    I'm sorry to be blunt -- I really don't intend for it to come across this way, but don't know how else to say it -- but someone already told you what this error means a bit over a year ago, and it seemed to solve this issue (you marked the thread as solved): http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1807599. The drive appears to have been mounted. You can't format a mounted drive.

Hmmm... OK, so I googled this error and did not find any clear solutions. One person said a reboot fixed the problem. I tried that. Didn't work. And when I clicked on Format button in Disk Utility, it didn't say what file system it would use for the format. I needed Fat32 and I couldn't see any way of telling what file system it would use for the format. I could have googled this problem also but at this point I threw up my hands and said "The heck with this!" Only one thing to do:

Windows to The Rescue! Yes, that's right, rather than spending another hour or more trying to simply format a USB stik using Ubuntu, I fired up Windows and was able to Fat32 format the stik in about 15 seconds.
    Sorry that you had problems in Ubuntu. However, if you encounter the issue again, the instructions here (in the very first answer) might help: http://askubuntu.com/questions/22381...sb-flash-drive. As they indicate, you should be able to format a USB stick as FAT32 in about 15 seconds on Ubuntu, too.

Maybe it is not quite as intuitive as it is in Windows, though I'm not sure about that.
    Asus K55A (Core i5-3210M @ 2.5GHz/8GB RAM/120GB SSD/Intel HD 4000) with Ubuntu 12.10 Beta 2
    Compaq Presario C700 (Pentium Dual-Core @ 1.6GHz/2.5GB RAM/500GB HDD/Intel GM965) with Arch Linux and Linux Mint Debian Edition

Beans

I always had issues with quick format in linux, this is why I use Gparted.
    Install gparted, issue solved

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MadmanRB View Post
    I always had issues with quick format in linux, this is why I use Gparted.
    Install gparted, issue solved
    +1 million. no need for windows make sure device isn't mounted chose your usb drive from drop down menu and format it. pretty dang simple
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans

The OP had been helped before on this exact same issue. I doubt that trying to give her help now will be any more successful than it was then.
    If you are asking about a problem with your system, make sure to give details about your setup. OTHERWISE, NO ONE CAN HELP YOU.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by hal8000 View Post
    Alternatively you could have asked on Ubuntu Forums and probably get a response in under 1 hour:
    Make sure your memory stick is unmounted: sudo mkfs.vfat /dev/sdc1
    replace sdc1 (with the partition of your memory stick)
    OK, thanks for the info. I'll make a note of this next time I need to format a stik (which is only about once every month or 2). Cheers,
    MSI Bravo 15 AMD Ryzen 7 4800H 15.6" 40GB A4DDR-212IN, 2TB nvme (Ubuntu 22.04 LTS Gnome) and 500GB nvme (also Ubuntu 22.04 LTS Gnome as a backup)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Docaltmed View Post
    If you really need Windows because you can't figure how to format a usb in Ubuntu, I would suggest just sticking with Windows. You will likely find Ubuntu to be just too frustrating.
    Ubuntu is often frustrating. But I definitely need it. It's one of the few ways I can browse safely and securely to my online financial accounts. I'm actually having fun learning the basics of Linux. I'm even starting to appreciate the command line.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast