Thread: Problems after installing graphic card drivers

Beans

Problems after installing graphic card drivers

Hello there

I installed 12.10 a few days ago and everything has been fine until I downloaded the Nvidia drivers from the software centre. Now, whenever I boot into Ubuntu, I've lost the side bar and the top menu bar and the screen resolution is much lower than it was (everything looks much bigger on the screen). Thinking I had probably corrupted the graphic card drivers, I reinstalled Ubuntu (selecting option 1 - not to overwrite the settings) but unfortunately, this hasn't made any difference.

My graphics card is a Nvidia GeForce 6150se nforce 430. I'm guessing I need to enter something via Terminal (which I can access via CTRL/ALT/T) but I've no idea what I'm afraid.

I'd be grateful for any help.

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Problems after installing graphic card drivers

Is it possible your screen settings are messed up?

If you go to:

Code:
    System Settings > Screen
    You can edit the screen size.
    It might be your screen resolution is smaller then your actual screen which make the side and top bars invisible.
    If your question is solved, please mark it with [SOLVED]by using Thread Tools.

Beans

You've lost sidebar and topbar because compiz doesn't work.It's probably because you've installed drivers that are not compatible with ubuntu 12.10. To fix this you should remove your current drivers and install open source drivers.To remove your current drivers type this in terminal:

Code:
    sudo apt-get purge nvidia-current

Beans

Did you miss any specific features that caused you to install the NVidia drivers from Software Centre? Do you remember exactly which Nvidia driver you installed, was it nvidia-current?

If so, after removing nvidia-current (as per post above) try the almost-latest stable NVidia drivers for your card:

sudo apt-get install nvidia-experimental-304
    Intel C2D E7200 || Intel DG33FB mobo || 4 GB RAM || 64 bit Lucid/ Precise Desktops || WD Caviar Black 1TB, Green 2TB; Corsair Force 3 60GB
    Dell U2412M || Palit Sonic GT 240 (OC'd NVidia card) || Logitech Quickcam Connect || Acer 3300U Scanner

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by shreepads View Post
    Did you miss any specific features that caused you to install the NVidia drivers from Software Centre? Do you remember exactly which Nvidia driver you installed, was it nvidia-current?

If so, after removing nvidia-current (as per post above) try the almost-latest stable NVidia drivers for your card:

sudo apt-get install nvidia-experimental-304
    No, I just tried to fix something that hadn't broken!! I'm pretty sure it was the current stable version I installed.

I'll try removing the existing drivers and running sudo apt-get install nvidia-experimental-304 this evening.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Try this:

Code:
    sudo apt-get remove nvidia-current
    Then:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install linux-headers-generic nvidia-current
    Hope this helps.