Thread: Update notification shows in different place on different machines

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Question Update notification shows in different place on different machines

I have two different machines both running Ubuntu 12.04. One of them has been upgraded continuously since Dapper Drake or so, the other was originally installed as Natty and upgraded from there.

On one of them, I get a little orange star icon in the menu bar at the top, next to the clock, when there are updates available. On the other, I get a badge with the number of updates available on the Software Update launcher icon in the Unity dock. I can't find any preference anywhere in the UI that controls which of these notification methods to use, and I'd like to change them so they're both the same. What do I need to tweak? I'm guessing one of them obviously had some configuration option that isn't supposed to exist anymore that got picked up from upgrading from something ancient and happens to still get honored...

While I'm on the topic, one of the machines prompts me for an admin password when I click on Install Update in the Software Update app, and the other just does it. How is that controlled?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Update notification shows in different place on different machines

Hi justdave72.

I use 10.04 (not 12.04) so this may/may not help.

If 12.04 has gnome-control-center, under 'Other' there is a 'Pop-Up Notifications' gui that allows you to set your preference. It can also be opened by typing notification-properties into terminal.

Does this help? Otherwise a 12.04 user will need to assist.

Don't know about your password prompt query, as far as i know a password prompt should always be required to install software, unless you're logged in as root (???).

mardybear

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Yeah, notification-properties doesn't seem to exist on 12.04. I don't have the popup notifications category in System Settings either (which does show up as gnome-control-panel in the process list)

Thanks for attempting though.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I still don't have a solution to this if anyone knows anything that might help...

Thanks!