Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thunderbird and the Messaging Indicator in Precise

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Thunderbird and the Messaging Indicator in Precise

Just did a fresh install to 12.04 from 11.04, using the default Unity desktop. I don't seem to be getting anything from the Messaging indicator applet. I'm running all the default things that I installed this morning: Thunderbird 11.01 with Global Menu Bar Integration 3.2 and Messaging Menu and Unity Integration 0.9.3. In Thunderbird, I go Preferences -> When new message arrives -> Show an alert, Play Sound. But nothing happens. No sound, no bubble notification, no change in color of the Messaging indicator, but Thunderbird clearly shows new messages. I tried installing notification-daemon but that didn't do anything either, even after another restart. Any suggestions?
    I'll take you out for a meal with Mr and Mrs. Pain. Order up some violent quiche.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Thunderbird and the Messaging Indicator in Precise

Bump?

Is there some way that I can simply check if that Messaging indicator is working at all? Worse comes to worse, I can download the source code for the messaging indicator and/or Thunderbird and try to customize it to work for me.

Would anyone recommend a different email client? I like Thunderbird a lot for it's openness, add-ons, and customization.
    I'll take you out for a meal with Mr and Mrs. Pain. Order up some violent quiche.

Beans

i had the same issue. i installed esound and it fixed it.

Beans

i should add that this fixes the sound issue but not the visual indicator...

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by yinnus View Post
    i should add that this fixes the sound issue but not the visual indicator...
    Just to clarify: This means you still have the issue with the visual indicator (no bubble, no change in color of the indicator)?

It seems odd that the default mail client wouldn't work properly with the messaging indicator.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I am having the same problem with The Indicator Applet and Thunderbird in Xubuntu 12.04.

New mail will show on the indicator by going blue only sometimes, it misses showing new mail an awful lot.

I sorted out the sound problem by following this post - http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1869787

Just need to fix the Indicator now.

Any clues ? Hopefully an update soon ?

Rodney

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Hm. Funny thing is, it just worked after I signed up for a launchpad account to report a bug for this issue. I installed the following packages:

esound
    python-notify
    notification-daemon

and it started working. By working, I mean I got a popping noise, a bubble, and the indicator turned blue. I'm not sure if it was the python-notify or the esound that helped it, but I'm not sure if notification-daemon was necessary.

Not sure if bug? Really seems like more of an oversight.

Additionally, link to my post on AskUbuntu (no responses as of this message): http://askubuntu.com/questions/12577.../126623#126623
    Last edited by ThesaurusRex; April 28th, 2012 at 02:53 AM. Reason: Clarify

Beans

Similar issue .. I run thunderbird over ssh when I'm in linux on my main desktop. Main was 10.10 until a few days ago and is now 12.04, remote machine has been 12.04 since the beginning of the month.

I no longer receive the popup alerts of new messages arriving as I was in 10.10.

Is there a way to get these working again? It's causing some communication issues between myself and my clients.
    Desktop - Q6600-8GB DDR2-8800GTS(G92)-2xDVDRW-2x500gb hdd-1TB raid0-12.04 x64-Win 7 x64
    Server -Xeon E3-1230-16GB DDR3-120GB SATAIII SSD-1TB Raid0-12.04lts server hosting 6x vms
    Supermicro SYS-5015A-4GB DDR3-60GB SATAIII SSD-pfSense 2.01 64bit

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

My indicator is also not working. I only get the bubble message , but the notification icon doesn't changed color.
    I5 3ghz , 16gig RAM, Nvidia Geforce GT610 1gig

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by ThesaurusRex View Post
    Hm. Funny thing is, it just worked after I signed up for a launchpad account to report a bug for this issue. I installed the following packages:

esound
    python-notify
    notification-daemon

and it started working. By working, I mean I got a popping noise, a bubble, and the indicator turned blue. I'm not sure if it was the python-notify or the esound that helped it, but I'm not sure if notification-daemon was necessary.

Not sure if bug? Really seems like more of an oversight.

Additionally, link to my post on AskUbuntu (no responses as of this message): http://askubuntu.com/questions/12577.../126623#126623
    I added -

esound
    python-notify
    notification-daemon

But still the new mail indicator plugin fails more often the not.

Is there some other way of getting mail alerts ?

Rodney

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast