Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Default email client on 13.04 (Raring Ringtail)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Default email client on 13.04 (Raring Ringtail)

Quote Originally Posted by VinDSL View Post
    Don't mean to be a sourpuss, but...

A friend of mine bought a high-end HP laptop @ Best Buys, a few years ago -- fanciest laptop I've ever seen -- glowed like a pinball machine, when it was running -- backlit keyboard, and all that sort of stuff. Most have cost a fortune...

When the Norton trial version expired, she started getting pop-ups about having to pay, by such n' such date, if she wanted to keep her data secure, blah, blah, blah. I told her to remove Norton, in the software manager (whatever MS calls it), and install the free version of Avast!

A few months later, she couldn't open emails, log into her bank accounts, and so forth and so on. Best Buys couldn't figure it out, nor the IT department at the place she works. She was heart-broken, and asked me if she should buy a new laptop.

I told her, I'd take a look at it, if she didn't mind me keeping her laptop for a week or so...

After 2 days of fishing around, I traced it down to remnants of the Norton Security Trial Suite.

Long story short: That #$@! thing is like a virus! It injects itself into the core system DLL files. Uninstalling Norton doesn't return these files to their original state.

I'm afraid, you'll need to go to their website and download a very obscure, well hidden, utility to fully remove Norton from your mom's new laptop, and patch the system.

EDIT

Found it! Do search for "SymNRT".

There are 17 versions running around. Choose wisely...
    Already did it. I've removed Norton often enough that I know to search for the right removal tool, as using the uninstall option in Windows doesn't remove it completely.

To help matters, don't even enable the trial version. As an experiment, I didn't enable Norton on my Dad's laptop, and just used the uninstall option, so far a year later it still hasn't shown it's ugly head.
    Last edited by cariboo; October 28th, 2012 at 09:23 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Quote Originally Posted by VinDSL View Post
    Don't mean to be a sourpuss, but...

A friend of mine bought a high-end HP laptop @ Best Buys, a few years ago -- fanciest laptop I've ever seen -- glowed like a pinball machine, when it was running -- backlit keyboard, and all that sort of stuff. Most have cost a fortune...

When the Norton trial version expired, she started getting pop-ups about having to pay, by such n' such date, if she wanted to keep her data secure, blah, blah, blah. I told her to remove Norton, in the software manager (whatever MS calls it), and install the free version of Avast!

A few months later, she couldn't open emails, log into her bank accounts, and so forth and so on. Best Buys couldn't figure it out, nor the IT department at the place she works. She was heart-broken, and asked me if she should buy a new laptop.

I told her, I'd take a look at it, if she didn't mind me keeping her laptop for a week or so...

After 2 days of fishing around, I traced it down to remnants of the Norton Security Trial Suite.

Long story short: That #$@! thing is like a virus! It injects itself into the core system DLL files. Uninstalling Norton doesn't return these files to their original state.

I'm afraid, you'll need to go to their website and download a very obscure, well hidden, utility to fully remove Norton from your mom's new laptop, and patch the system.

EDIT

Found it! Do search for "SymNRT".

There are 17 versions running around. Choose wisely...
    I have done this so many times I think I could do it in the dark! lol.

Honestly VinDSL , I have had exactly the same problem with so many clients. The tough part is convincing clients to convert to Ubutnu. When they do I get the Ooohhhhss and Ahhhhs ! ha.

btw .. I just installed the Comodo CAV for Linux Debian per (Raring Ringtail). Then I did an EICAR test. It detected ok but there is something wrong with the guard. However, to stay on topic, they have a real-time scanner-guard for e-mail and I was going to experiment with that using Thunderbird app.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    Actually I just bought my Mom a Gateway laptop for a ridiculously good deal, and it had Windows Live pre-installed, so the only things I had to do was remove the Office 2010 trial and Norton Security trial, and install MS Security Essentials.
    They are practically giving away ASUS quad cores at Factory Direct with no OS. Just waitng for Ubuntu !

back a few years ago it was always tough to get the Norton Removal tool to work. It was one of those 'regedit' scenarios that could take a whole 5 hour session.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by ventrical View Post
    They are practically giving away ASUS quad cores at Factory Direct with no OS
    Could You be more precise, please. Thank You.
    P.S. I think I've found what You've meant...
    Last edited by zika; October 28th, 2012 at 12:01 PM.
    Ignota nulla curatio morbi.
    Quod nocet saepe docet.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Can we stop with the silly thunderbird fud, thunderbird's development isn't going to magically stop, people misunderstood that announcement.
    Desktop: Windows 8 x64 | Intel Core i5-2500 | 16 GB DDR3 1333 | ATI 6950 2gb | 64gb Vertex 2/320gb/750gb/1tb hdd
    Laptop: System76 Lemur Ultra | Xubuntu 13.04 x64 | 2.5Ghz Intel Core i5-3210m | 8GB DDR31600 | Intel HD4000 | 500GB 7200rpm hybrid hdd

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123