Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: AMD Drivers breaking my system.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Angry AMD Drivers breaking my system.

[SOLVED] Read how I solved this in the 3rd post below. Answer is in the 3rd post.

Hey there.
    Alright, so I'm about to go a little crazy now. I have Ubuntu 12.10 64bit installed (twice now).
    I have tried installing AMD's 12.9 beta and 12.10 catalyst driver from their website. Each time I do, my system breaks upon reboot. I literally cannot do anything. Not even Ctrl+Alt+F1.
    The messages each time are different on screen . Once even, all it said was Starting* then Stopping*
    That's it. No other information. I've tried to add an image of my screen below.
    http://i519.photobucket.com/albums/u...707063b641.jpg

On the second clean install, Ubuntu already tells me I have a manual driver installed in the Additional Drivers section so I can't choose anything. How is this possible? I thought a clean install would mean that the hdd would be completely cleansed first. 500gb hdd and it only has Ubuntu installed on it. This is a desktop system.
    I have an Asus AMD RadeonHD 6870 card. Heck, even phoronix had the same card and had no problems with installing the driver. What the heck is wrong with mine?

I've never had amd driver problems like this before. My card isn't even that old!
    Right now it looks like I have to reinstall Ubuntu all over again, but the question is:
    How in the heavens do I install my bloody AMD driver?
    I've tried sudo apt-get install fglrx-updates, but although that works its seriously choppy in 3D usage!
    I can't game using it. I can watch movies, albeit moving the mouse makes any video I watch flicker like mad and leave window artifacts across the screen until I minimise and maximise the window again.

I'm installing from a pen drive.
    My system specs
    CPU - amd 965 phenom ii 3.4ghz
    Gpu - aforementioned
    Ram - 8 gb corsair ddr3

EDIT:
    On third install, I decided to try and install AMD Catalyst 12.10 using this method.
    First, install the needed items:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install ia32-libs linux-headers-generic build-essential
    Second, in a terminal head to the driver directory. Then do this:
    Code:
    sh ./amd-driver-installer-12-1-x86.x86_64.run --buildpkg Ubuntu/oneiric
    After it is done making the package, we now install it. Like this:
    Code:
    sudo dpkg -i fglrx*.deb
    At this point in my install it gave me an error, saying there were unresolved dependencies. Basically it needs dkms lib32gcc1 libc6-i386. So, to make it fix itself, I then did:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get -f install
    There, the errors were fixed. Now to do the last part:
    Code:
    sudo aticonfig --initial -f
    Alright, its done. So I then restarted. BAM! Same problem as can be seen in the image above. Anyone reading this, I really suggest you DON'T waste your time trying to install this 12.10 Catalyst driver. It just won't work.

To summarize, I've tried installing it in these ways:
    1. GUI Method ( Right click driver. set execute. Double click driver and install)
    2. --force method
    3. building the package method like described above

NOTHING works. I'm currently on my fourth reinstall of Ubuntu 12.10 (actually fifth, but whos counting).
    I'm too scared to even try the Additional Drivers. I don't even know what the difference between fglrx and fglrx-updates is. Why? Because unlike Jockey, Additional Drivers here doesn't bother to give you information about it in the slightest.

I have no idea if fglrx is secretly 12.9 Beta or 12.10, or if fglrx-updates is 12.9beta or 12.10 Catalyst. Not a clue. I'm currently with the Open Source graphics driver now, but it means no gaming for me. For shame. Since no one has replied yet, I will guess there is no fix at the time of writing this. Non foreseeable either, since AMD only just released the new useless Catalyst 12.10.
    Last edited by wildmanne39; October 26th, 2012 at 01:36 AM. Reason: Removed large image.

Beans
    Distro

Unhappy Re: AMD Drivers breaking my system.

Alright, so on my current install I decided to give the fglrx-updates [proprietary] driver from System Settings -> Software Sources -> Additional Drivers a go.

Long story short, it was a bad idea. Not system breaking bad though. Just that Unity and its global menu decided to not ever appear again bad. It also decides to put the resolution at 2560x1600, which is far beyond what my screen should be capable of. I'm using a HP 2509p screen with a resolution of 1920x1080. Heres a screenshot of it:

http://i519.photobucket.com/albums/u...psab749e9e.png

The only way to fix this is to revert back to the open source Radeon driver.
    Right click -> Change Desktop Background -> All Settings -> Software Sources -> Addition Drivers, then select xserver-xorg-video-ati.

I may very well have to return to 12.04 like this.
    I am going to give just the fglrx(proprietary) driver a go, but I honestly doubt its going to work at this point.

What has NOT worked for me thus far:
    1. AMD Drivers from their website
    - Catalyst 12.9 Beta
    - Catalyst 12.10
    2. AMD Drivers from Ubuntu's repositories
    - fglrx-updates (proprietary)

What has worked so far:
    1. The OSS driver.

Thankfully my Home is on a different partition, so I don't have to lose or continously backup my files. I can't imagine how many tears I'd have shed if I had not made a new partition for Home before this...

If anyone has even the slightest hint or idea on how/what I may try to fix this, please let me know.
    Last edited by wildmanne39; October 26th, 2012 at 01:37 AM. Reason: Removed large image.

Beans
    Distro

Post Re: AMD Drivers breaking my system.

Alright, since no one replied I am going to guess that no one knew why my system broke or just didn't care.

For all those who read this:
    The AMD Catalyst driver 12.9 Beta AND 12.10 driver on the AMD website DO NOT SUPPORT Ubuntu 12.10.

More specifically, they don't support Xorg 1.13.
    However, today AMD released a new Catalyst 12.11 Beta which does support Ubuntu 12.10 (Xorg 1.13).

If you are on Ubuntu 12.10 and are you using an AMD graphics card (specifically a 6000 series or 7000 series card, and I believe 5000 series cards), then you have 3 choices available to you at the time of this writing.

They are:
    1. The Open Source driver (installed by default in Ubuntu 12.10)
    2. The fglrx-updates(proprietary) driver from Additional Drivers
    3. The AMD Catalyst 12.11 Beta driver from AMD's website.

READ: For AMD users who have cards from the 4000 series or OLDER, you only have the open source driver for Ubuntu 12.10. Your cards are now considered Legacy by AMD, which means the last driver to support your cards is the AMD Catalyst 12.6 driver (if I am not wrong).

Installing the fglrx-updates(proprietary) driver
    This driver is technically AMD Catalyst 12.9 Beta, but AMD have made sure this one actually works with Ubuntu 12.10.

BEFORE INSTALLING IT, you must first do this. Otherwise it will not work and you will be left with a desktop with NO Unity or Global Menu.

Open the Dash, type in Terminal. Click the Terminal.
    Now type this in the Terminal:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install ia32-libs linux-headers-generic build-essential dkms lib32gcc1 libc6-i386
    Hit Enter. When prompted, type in your password. Hit Enter again.
    If it asks y/n at anytime, just hit y and hit Enter to continue.
    After it has finished installing, you may now proceed with the fglrx-updates(proprietary) driver installation.

Open the Dash, type in System Settings. Click on System Settings.
    In System Settings, go to Software Sources.
    Now go to the Additional Drivers tab.
    Click the one that has fglrx-updates(proprietary) at the end.
    Click the Apply Changes Button.
    After it is done installing, simply restart Ubuntu to let the driver take over. There, you're done installing fglrx-updates.

Installing AMD Catalyst 12.11 Beta
    This is the latest driver from AMD at the time of this writing. It works on Ubuntu 12.10, I am using it now.

There are two ways you can install this driver.
    1. GUI Method (easiest method)
    2. Build it yourself (slightly more challenging)
    Either one will do. The advantage of building it yourself means that whenever Ubuntu updates later on, you won't have to reinstall the driver.

GUI Method
    Download the driver from AMD's website.
    Once downloaded, extract the .zip file anywhere. To make it easy, just extract it to your desktop.

Right click the .run installer (installer name should be amd-driver-installer-catalyst-12.11-beta-x86.x86_64.run) Go to Properties. Under the Permissions tab, make sure "Allow executing file as a program" is ticked. Click the Close button.

Now double click the .run file. When it prompts you, click the Run button.
    It will ask you for your password, type it in and hit Enter. Click Continue. Click I agree when the EULA appears. Make sure Automatic is clicked, then click Continue.

Once the installer is complete, just restart Ubuntu to let the driver take over.

By now you're probably noticing a small AMD Testing Only watermark on the bottom right. To get rid of this, open a Terminal.

Type in:
    Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/ati/signature
    You will see in big letters UNSIGNED.
    Highlight that and delete it. Now paste this into there:
    Code:
    b67d452b67e1e4baee18b65de7643cc0:8e537c1d56ccd588de2c866886490df38148761a24cca5eea7388168d3560bf9:8e1870185082d5dedb2ed53e835104f8d21877485fd7d282d62e8264d7005af38e4c711350d7d5dbdc2cd53e865159a5d74a76135fd0d2828a2b836bd7065af9
    Save and close that text editor. Now log out of Ubuntu. Log back in. There should be no watermark anymore. You're done with the installation.

I obtained this signature from here:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1988444
    It is the signature for Ubuntu 12.04, but it works on 12.10. I have been unable to get the signature for Ubuntu 12.10.

Build it yourself
    Download the driver from AMD's website.
    Once downloaded, extract the .zip file anywhere. To make it easy, just extract it to your desktop.

Now open a Terminal. Type in this and hit Enter:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install ia32-libs linux-headers-generic build-essential dkms lib32gcc1 libc6-i386
    After that is done, now CD to Desktop (or where ever you extracted it).
    Code:
    cd Desktop
    Type this in and hit Enter:
    Code:
    sh ./amd-driver-installer-catalyst-12.11-beta-x86.x86_64.run --buildpkg Ubuntu/quantal
    After that is done, then type this in and hit Enter:
    Code:
    sudo dpkg -i fglrx*.deb
    Once that is done, type this in:
    Code:
    sudo aticonfig --initial -f
    Now restart your computer, and the driver will take over.
    You will have the watermark on the bottom right. Do the steps as written in the GUI method above to remove that watermark and you're all set!

I'm just glad I've got my system working.
    From my personal experience, the fglrx-updates(proprietary) are buggy.
    They leave window artifacts on screen every once in a while and when watching movies/videos in Totem/VLC/MPlayer, if you move your mouse then it will suddenly have parts of Windows from the background appear on top of the video. I have to minimize and maximize the player to remove the artifacts.

So far, AMD Catalyst 12.11 Beta seems pretty stable (even abit smoother).

Hopefully this information may help someone out there. All the best to anyone reading this.
    Last edited by myromance123; October 25th, 2012 at 12:38 AM. Reason: bad typo

Beans

Smile Re: AMD Drivers breaking my system.

Quote Originally Posted by myromance123 View Post
    Hopefully this information may help someone out there. All the best to anyone reading this.
    Hi Myromance123

Your my MAN! I was having the issue.

I am not so much familiar with Ubuntu.... Before I saw your post, I tried to install Ati drivers and FAILED!

I'm very happy to find this article on how to do it.
    Thank you very very very much myromance,

I very appreciate !!!

Will try your trick tonight at home....

I have a question for you....

I have in my computer 3 video cards:

1X ATI HD7850 same ATI drivers
    2X ATI HD6450

Do you think I'll be able to make it all work together?

Also, I have to mention that I have 6 monitors
    Here are the config....

My monitors are :
    3x LG W2343TV 23" with DVI and VGA input 1920x1080
    1x Acer AL2216W 22" with DVI and VGA input 1650x1050
    1x Acer AL1916W 19" with DVI and VGA input 1440x900
    1x Samsung Syncmaster 953BW 19" with DVI and VGA input 1280x1024

Gigabyte HD7850 GV-R7850C-2GD wich you can see on this web
    link http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...YTE-_-14125419

Asus HD6450 http://www.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/A...ENTDI512MD3LP/

Thank you again to have shared your tricks!

JmCourir
    Last edited by JmCourir; October 24th, 2012 at 09:29 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: AMD Drivers breaking my system.

I don't think it will matter but, don't you mean "quantal" instead of "oneiric"

Beans
    Distro

I don't think it will matter but, don't you mean "quantal" instead of "oneiric"
    Thank you for pointing that out, I mistyped that and didn't see it even after proof reading. Corrected it now, thanks again.

@JmCourir are your cards in CrossFire? I have never personally tried CrossFire, so in all honesty I have no clue.

If your HD7850 was alone, I can almost guarantee it would work.
    If your two HD6450s are mixed with the HD7850, this is something outside of my knowledge. I have a feeling it may not though.

If it was just the two HD6450s, I think you would be able to CrossFire no problem.

If you can't get it to work, go ahead and make a new thread here in the Hardware section regarding it. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will be able to guide you on the matter. All the best.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by myromance123 View Post
    Thank you for pointing that out, I mistyped that and didn't see it even after proof reading. Corrected it now, thanks again.

@JmCourir are your cards in CrossFire? I have never personally tried CrossFire, so in all honesty I have no clue.

If your HD7850 was alone, I can almost guarantee it would work.
    If your two HD6450s are mixed with the HD7850, this is something outside of my knowledge. I have a feeling it may not though.

If it was just the two HD6450s, I think you would be able to CrossFire no problem.

If you can't get it to work, go ahead and make a new thread here in the Hardware section regarding it. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will be able to guide you on the matter. All the best.
    Hi,

I did your trick and it worked very good.

No crossfire.. all independant...

It has detected my cards very good. I did ati config and configure monitors, reboot and it went very good until I ....
    Issues on mouse, not able to move to another monitor.

Than I activated Xinerama and reboot.... after that I saw all the same wallpaper on all monitors and able to move mouse everywhere very good.... but........ compiz crashed... not able to do anything, not even right clic on the mouse...

:/
    Now I dont know what to do ...

JmCourir
    Last edited by JmCourir; October 25th, 2012 at 02:01 AM.

Beans

ati 6750M + ubuntu 12.10

Hello I have a problem with ati 6750M on ubuntu 12.10. I've tested all available drivers ( from amd site and from repositories). In all cases the xserver fails with segmentation fault. The only way to start xserver is to delete xorg.conf (no unity, no window decoration, no acceleration). Amdcccle say's that no supported hardware was detected. I reinstalled ubuntu also 5 or 6 times but i haven't found any decent driver. I cannot use open source driver because I get only 1 hour battery life (from 6 in windows). My laptop is Samsung series 7. Please help if you have any suggestions

Beans
    Distro

@JmCourir, I have only ever tried multiple display configurations with a previous Nvidia setup. I wish I could help you more here, but I really don't know how to. If you really can't get it up and running, do make a new thread in this Hardware section. I'm almost certain the multi-monitor users will be able to help you.

@sarvigalava, I believe your Samsung laptop has Hybrid graphics. This means that there is no driver for your system. I personally have struggled with a 6850M Hybrid paired with Intel graphics on a HP Envy 17" earlier this year, and to this day have not been able to get it working. At best, it will only use the Intel graphics. I am sorry to say I think all you have is the Open Source driver to use. Don't hesitate to ask in a new thread within the Hardware section though. Someone may have found a way to make it work.

Beans

Hi!
    After searching more than 3 hours, I finally found that kubuntu will work with my monitors.

On Ubuntu 12.10 with Unity, when I activate Xinerama and reboot, Unity wont start.

Than I installed KDE. Log into KDE and Voilà, everything is fine now.

At least, I'll be able to switch to Ubuntu now. I want to get rid of Windows... specially that I dont want to pay no more on OS.

Thank you again to explain how to install ATI Driver! You saved me a lot of time

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast