Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: fglrx in raring

Beans

Re: fglrx in raring

Quote Originally Posted by unheeding View Post
    I was able to build and install the fglrx driver using the instructions for 13.1, everything went good. I rebooted, and then Unity wouldn't start. I had this same problem a few weeks ago on kernel 3.5 with the fglrx that is in the repos. I'm pretty sure an update to Unity fixed it.

Do you think this is caused because my packages (besides the kernel) are still on quantal? The version of Unity appears to be the same in both raring and quantal (6.12), so that seems a little unlikely. I'm going to try reinstalling the drivers and doing an aticonfig --initial, but if that doesn't work I'm happy to use the open source drivers. However, any suggestions would be welcome!
    I'm having this exact same problem, and sadly I'm just now getting back into Ubuntu after years of not using it, so I'm quite rusty and was only a small step above a noob when I stopped using it (I think Jaunty was the last time I used it). I'm about to try the driver in the standard repos as I'm totally clueless what to do and am just going to poke around... heck, that's how I learned what I already know anyway.

Edit: I just installed whatever fglrx the update manager wanted me to (I assume it was the fglrx available in the repos), and I'm stuck with the same result. Trying to reload Unity shows a ton of errors in Compiz...oh boy, I just couldn't leave well enough alone, could I! I love Linux, but dang, one little mistake and the whole thing comes apart at the seams!
    Last edited by akarimco; February 16th, 2013 at 05:07 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

13.1 beta 6 is available from the Xorg Edgers PPA.
    1) MSI GT70: i7-3650, 16GB, GTX680M, XFCE@Manjaro-x64
    2) Dell Studio 1749
    : i5-540, 8GB, ATi 5650, Intel 5300AGN XFCE@Manjaro-x64
    3) Lenovo X61: C2D T7200, 2GB, Intel HDA, iwlwifi, XFCE@Manjaro-x64-OpenRC

Beans

I have the same problem with a Llano laptop running in UEFI boot mode (with the dedicated VGA disabled).

fglrx stopped working with a kernel upgrade. I tried to remove it but xserver didn't really got recovered. I had to use the nomodeset parameter at boot. But that's not too good.

I tried to use the xorg-edgers PPA a few days ago. I still don't have a working desktop with or without fglrx.
    If I remove it now then I can't even use tty1 after booting with nomodoset (let alone the graphic desktop). I had to reinstall fglrx from recovery mode to be able to anything.

atifoncfig seems to detect the card since I ran a dist-upgrade today (it din't see anything lat time). But it's still broken. May be I need to do something with xserver to get it working again.
    I tried some things to reset xserver but it didn't really work.
    Last edited by janos666; February 23rd, 2013 at 01:47 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

How is the performance of fglrx on 13.04, at its current state, compared to 12.04 for gaming? Does it bring some value?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by crepito View Post
    How is the performance of fglrx on 13.04, at its current state, compared to 12.04 for gaming? Does it bring some value?
    Things are in a state of flux, as Raring is still in development, performance depends a lot on the state of updates, which can be done several times a day. Comparing it against a released version really means nothing. I'd suggest if you aren't helping test Raring, that you wait until it is released before trying to make comparisons.

Beans

Re: 13.1 with kernel 3.7/3.8 support

Quote Originally Posted by jfernyhough View Post
    This time a slightly modified method to take advantage of the existing patches.

1) Extract driver packages
    2) Add in Ubuntu patches for 3.7 and 3.8 support
    3) Build
    4) Install
    5) Reboot

1) Download and extract:
    Code:
    $ cd ~/temp
    $ wget http://www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/amd-driver-installer-catalyst-13.1-linux-x86.x86_64.zip
    $ unzip amd-driver-installer-catalyst-13.1-linux-x86.x86_64.zip
    $ sh ./amd-driver-installer-catalyst-13.1-linux-x86.x86_64.run --extract amd
    2) Add patches for 3.7 and 3.8 kernel support:
    Code:
    $ wget https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+archive/primary/+files/fglrx-installer_9.010-0ubuntu2.debian.tar.gz
    Now open the zip and extract the files in dkms/patches to ~/temp/amd/packages/Ubuntu/dists/[source and quantal]/dkms/patches/
    Both source and quantal probably isn't needed, it's a catch-all until I test one or the other.

Extract "dkms.conf.in" to ~/temp/amd/packages/Ubuntu/dists/[source and quantal]/

3) Build:
    Code:
    $ cd ~/temp/amd
    $ ./ati-installer.sh 9.012 --buildpkg Ubuntu/raring
    4) Install:
    Code:
    $ cd ..
    $ sudo dpkg -i *.deb
    5) Reboot. Use your favourite method.
    Did Someone try this with Kernel above 3.7.5? With Kernel 3.7.5 this solution works pretty well but I tried this with Kernel 3.7.6 and 3.8 and I get the error with "low graphic mode". Has someone experience or a solution with that?

Beans
    Distro

Yes. Use the packages from the Edgers PPA.
    2) Dell Studio 1749

Beans
    Distro

13.2 beta 7 is in Edgers. AMD page hasn't been updated from beta 6 yet, so no idea about changes.
    2) Dell Studio 1749

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Is there a good solution for installing fglrx 13.1 legacy drivers in Raring, yet? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the Edgers PPA doesn't have the legacy package.

Beans
    Distro

There are no AMD legacy drivers for xorg 1.13. You'll have to stick with 1.12 (e.g. use 12.04 LTS) or use the open-source drivers.
    2) Dell Studio 1749

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast