Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Pivacy issue in v12.10

Beans

Re: Pivacy issue in v12.10

Quote Originally Posted by woodrobin View Post
    Your specific example depends on knowing where to go to install the software, and having the requisite expertise to circumvent the design and purpose of the Dash. In your case, it is an unnecessary step interposed between what you want to do and where you need to go to do it. In other words, you're not the person the Dash was designed for. For you, as for myself and I suspect many others, it is a solution in search of a problem.
    Actually, they weren't my specific examples, they were the specific examples given by teslasmoustache right here. And if you are savvy enough to run tor or freenet, I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that you're savvy enough to be able to figure out how to install them without using the Dash.

As for me, I use the Dash all the time. For instance, just today I repeatedly sent the letters "sy" to Amazon when I wanted to run synaptic, as well as once when I ran system monitor. I think they also received the letters "cc" I typed when I wanted to change something in CCSM. I certainly hope they don't use those letters against me in any significant way.

EDIT: Also, the Ubuntu Software Center appears in the launcher by default. I'm not circumventing the design of Unity when I use it to find programs, really.
    If you are asking about a problem with your system, make sure to give details about your setup. OTHERWISE, NO ONE CAN HELP YOU.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by thatguruguy View Post
    Actually, they weren't my specific examples, they were the specific examples given by teslasmoustache right here. And if you are savvy enough to run tor or freenet, I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that you're savvy enough to be able to figure out how to install them without using the Dash.
    Perhaps I should have said "the examples you mentioned." I didn't mean to give you credit for ideas not your own. My apologies.

I believe my point stands, however, as to the Dash often being a solution in search of a problem. Personally, I've used it exactly often enough to get the programs I regularly use locked onto the launcher, then promptly stopped using it. Not because I give a fig what info from my computer goes to Amazon or elsewhere -- really, I could care less. No, more because I no longer need to use a slow, inconsistent, buggy search function and switch from mouse to keyboard to mouse to achieve what I can now do with one click.

I'll grant that I quite like the idea of the Dash, in theory. In practice, I find that actually trying to use it slows me down. If Dash did what Mark Shuttleworth seems to hope it will one day be capable of doing (acts as a start point for everything from shopping to program launching to file search, etc.) I might find it interesting. If it did it as quickly as I could do any of those things without it, I might actually find it useful.

It's not there yet. I sometimes wonder if it ever will be.

As for me, I use the Dash all the time. For instance, just today I repeatedly sent the letters "sy" to Amazon when I wanted to run synaptic, as well as once when I ran system monitor. I think they also received the letters "cc" I typed when I wanted to change something in CCSM. I certainly hope they don't use those letters against me in any significant way.
    Snark duly noted. =D>

I just added Synaptic to the app launcher, so the click on Dash / type letters / wait for results / click on Synaptic process could be reduced to the click on Synaptic process.

EDIT: Also, the Ubuntu Software Center appears in the launcher by default. I'm not circumventing the design of Unity when I use it to find programs, really.
    Who brought up circumventing the design of Unity? Dash is a small part of Unity. I like the app launcher, personally. I just think Dash has mutated from being a slower variation on the Files / Applications / Settings panel item of Gnome 2 into a hot mess of features that sometimes sort of work right, with a revenue stream wedged tightly up its unmentionables.

Honestly, since there's no requirement that I use the Unity desktop, I could just chuck it in favour of the kubuntu-desktop package, for instance. After all, the Ubuntu repositories host a plethora of alternatives to a default Ubuntu installation.
    Last edited by woodrobin; October 24th, 2012 at 06:36 AM. Reason: typo

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdalbum View Post
    Thatguruguy said it all: The Unity Dash has been transmitting search queries to third parties for over a year, to power the online Music and Videos search. Most of these companies you will be less familiar with than Amazon.

It's only now, because it's a big company, do people make a fuss. If you don't want the Amazon shopping lens, remove it. I probably will. But don't try to claim that 12.04 or 11.10 never sent search queries to third parties. They did.
    I don't think there's a perfect answer for this. But my opinion is that when I'm looking for music or videos to purchase from Amazon, I will go to the place where Amazon sells music and videos. I don't want that place to be in front of my face all the time, just like I don't want anyone to build a grocery store on my front lawn.

And when I'm looking for applications to install, it's reasonable for the provider of the software to retrieve certain statistical information about what applications are installed, how often, etc.

I don't want to have to uninstall a bunch of stuff I don't need right out of the box. It's like scraping the mold off of a sandwich before eating it.

I believe it's somewhat significant that it's a big company because big companies are, well, big. They have influence and control over a lot of stuff.
    Last edited by overdrank; October 24th, 2012 at 10:51 AM.

Beans

Sorry if old dead / dying / decaying thread - but thank you very much for bringing this to my attention.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234