Thread: fglrx causes black screen on boot

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

fglrx causes black screen on boot

I'm using Kubuntu 12.10 at the moment but this problem is not specific to KDE.

After installing the AMD driver from any source (upstream or the Ubuntu tool), rebooting causes just a black screen.

I know the system is booting up fine because I hear the startup sound so I know KDE is working.

Adding "nomodeset" to the kernel line in Grub dumps me to a login console, and I can't run startx because "no screens detected".

Can someone explain a) How can I get this to work? and b) How can Canonical justify shipping a release in this state?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: fglrx causes black screen on boot

Quote Originally Posted by blazemore View Post
    I'm using Kubuntu 12.10 at the moment but this problem is not specific to KDE.

After installing the AMD driver from any source (upstream or the Ubuntu tool), rebooting causes just a black screen.

I know the system is booting up fine because I hear the startup sound so I know KDE is working.

Adding "nomodeset" to the kernel line in Grub dumps me to a login console, and I can't run startx because "no screens detected".
    Can someone explain a) How can I get this to work?
    Hi ,

Search for Bugs before you install anything in a new (very new) release like Ubuntu 12.10.

I suggest to click the "Yes affects me too" button in Launchpad , in any bug report you think affects you.

Try to remove the fglrx driver from your system and use the radeon (open source - pre-installed) instead.
    and b) How can Canonical justify shipping a release in this state?
    This question probably is for another Thread. Ubuntu Testimonials & Experiences ? Maybe.

Thanks