Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: libreoffice incredibly buggy in 12.10?

Beans

Unhappy Re: libreoffice incredibly buggy in 12.10?

Got the same thing here. (If) the top menu appears, the menu will work normally for some time, then it will become totally unresponsive and LO will not even react to keyboard-shortcuts. Things like 'Recent Files' will open the wrong files, when you click on one LO will open an other.
    Under 12.04 LO was reasonably workable, but under 12.10 it's almost unworkable. (BTW: I use LO Calc most of the time).

I really hope this will get solved, or is it time to look for another distro than Ubuntu? (Or is this a LO problem?)

Beans

Re: libreoffice incredibly buggy in 12.10?

Hi,

Just wanted to note it's the same story for me as well (while using Calc): Weird behaviour of the top panel menu, as it sometimes does not appear. Frequent crashes..

one way to get around the menu problem is to open (from dash home) a new Calc sheet and make switches back and forth between the sheet with no menu bars and newly opened sheet.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by harlequin_ View Post
    Hi,

Just wanted to note it's the same story for me as well (while using Calc): Weird behaviour of the top panel menu, as it sometimes does not appear. Frequent crashes..

one way to get around the menu problem is to open (from dash home) a new Calc sheet and make switches back and forth between the sheet with no menu bars and newly opened sheet.
    When's the last time you upgraded the software on your system? They recently released an update that should have fixed at least some of this behavior.
    Asus K55A (Core i5-3210M @ 2.5GHz/8GB RAM/120GB SSD/Intel HD 4000) with Ubuntu 12.10 Beta 2
    Compaq Presario C700 (Pentium Dual-Core @ 1.6GHz/2.5GB RAM/500GB HDD/Intel GM965) with Arch Linux and Linux Mint Debian Edition

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

These issues are due to a bad support of the Unity global menu for libre office. Even when these issues are fixed, which I think they are (I only upgraded to 12.10 a week ago and did not experience these issues), you will be stuck with Alt+key combinations to use the menu are not working.

What is there now, is the HUD, of course. However, I don't feel that can replace for convenient direct keyboard access to the menu. The hud is excellent to find items that you do not know here they are in the menu. It works slower, though, than using some key combinations to get directly where you want.

Current workaronds (if are not a tester and need your work done) are:
    1) Disable global menu support for LibreOffice. In previous versions, you'd remove one package, lo-menu. Currently, you must remove libreoffice-gtk to remove global menu support. However, you will also loose all other gnome integration.

2) Disable the global menu and revert to window specific menu's: "sudo apt-get autoremove indicator-appmenu appmenu-gtk appmenu-gtk3 appmenu-qt". That's how I currently survive.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

For the problems not linked to the menu, you can try first to reset your OpenOffice user profile.

If no change, you can install LO with the official .debs available on their website. See: [Ubuntu] Installing OOo on Debian and Co.

You can also switch to Apache OpenOffice, much less buggy IMHO, install with the same process as above.
    Ubuntu user # 14396

Beans

Unhappy Re: libreoffice incredibly buggy in 12.10?

LibreOffice is unusable under Ubuntu 12.10. How can Canonical release an operating system so buggy?
    Office Suite is a key part of Ubuntu and needs to be treated carefully so that always works perfectly, in every version.
    It would have been better to Canonical postpone 12.10 than launch it with so many problems.
    I'm very disappointed about this.

Beans

Angry Re: libreoffice incredibly buggy in 12.10?

This is what happens when we open multiple documents with double-click in Nautilus:

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by wribeiro View Post
    ...It would have been better to Canonical postpone 12.10 than launch it with so many problems...
    You do realise that Ubuntu 12.10 is basically an interim (eg. beta) release of Ubuntu based on Debian Testing? This is not, by definition, a "stable" system.

No one forces anyone to upgrade to the latest six-monthly release. These releases are aimed at those who are happy to "test-drive" and accept occasional breakage. If you want a stable OS and applications then stick to the older releases, preferably LTS. eg. Ubuntu 10.04 is still fully supported until April 2013 and includes the (relatively bug-free) OpenOffice.org v3.2.

Beans

Zill, thanks for your reply.

In 6 years I have been one of the biggest promoters of Ubuntu because I believe strongly in the project.
    But when a standard user accesses Ubuntu site and is invited to download the CD, nothing is said about the instability and the possibility of errors of the latest version.
    I complain because I know these problems can create serious rejection on new users because of this.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by wribeiro View Post
    ... But when a standard user accesses Ubuntu site and is invited to download the CD, nothing is said about the instability and the possibility of errors of the latest version.
    I complain because I know these problems can create serious rejection on new users because of this.
    +1.
    Both Ubuntu and LibreOffice get a bad rep. Even though LibreOffice has "production" and less stable versions, one has to dig a bit to know that the latest isn't necessarily the greatest.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast