Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Installing Windows after Ubuntu install

Beans

Installing Windows after Ubuntu install

My wife bought a new laptop: HP Pavilion g6. It is an Intel dual core and so runs 64-bit.

I had trouble installing Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 64-bit and in the process accidentally deleted the pre-installed Windows 7 Home Prem 64-bit. It actually installed over the Windows partition deleting it. I have now completed the Ubuntu install and settings, and would like to re-install the Windows OS, as she wants it.....

I have ordered the Windows restore CD (I have tried others I have laying about but for some reason, I assume it is that they do not have the correct HD drivers, they can not find the HD so can not install). I have ordered the official HP recovery CD for this machine, so should load OK.

I have created a spare partition of 50G, currently unformatted, especially for it.

In the past I have had trouble when installing Windows after Ubuntu because its MBR deletes or prioritises over the GRUB install. So I need help.

How do I install the Windows and retain my Ubuntu and GRUB install?

Beans

Re: Installing Windows after Ubuntu install

Actually, just seen this.... I shall try it out and revert if I have any issues or comments.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I'm concerned that what HP will send you will only be a "restore CD" from the standpoint of booting WinPE and looking for a Recovery partition on the drive. This is because a CD is simply too small to hold Win7.

When you get the CD, you should look at its contents in Ubuntu. If you don't see something like Wim.img (compressed windows image file), then my suspicions are correct.

For a WinPE-based restore to work, not only does the Recovery partition have to be intact, the drive itself must still have the original partitioning scheme -- which you removed when you installed Ubuntu.

So, if the CD does work (which I doubt it will), it will likely reformat your entire drive and reinstall Win7 from scratch.
    Ubuntu 16.04 Mate, Mint 18 Mate; MS Win 8.1, MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Phelps View Post
    I'm concerned that what HP will send you will only be a "restore CD" from the standpoint of booting WinPE and looking for a Recovery partition on the drive. This is because a CD is simply too small to hold Win7.
    +1

The Microsoft Win 7 64-bit install DVD is about 3.2GB. A set of HP Win 7 restore DVDs is much bigger. When I created a set for my HP Mini netbook running Win 7, it created no less than 4 DVDs, 4.1, 4.1, 4.1 and 3.2GB. I don't know why so much but you need the set to go with your particular model. Hopefully, that is what HP will send you rather than a single CD.
    Ubuntu 16.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 14.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - IRC #ubuntuforums

Member: Not Canonical Team

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

Beans

Unhappy Re: Installing Windows after Ubuntu install

Oh, hell!!!!
    I so hate M and the big boys... I hope you are both wrong, please.....

It is the set specifically for this machine. I went to their website and looked up the exact model and then ordered the recovery kit. It is called, according to their invoice/website.

System Recovery Kit for MS Windows 7 Premium x64 System Recovery Kit g6-1372saSystem Recovery Kit English, - (DR057E_A8S61EA#ABU_679938-031)
    Hardware product number: A8S61EA#ABU

The other problem is that, if it does wipe the disk and install the system to "as new", even trying to shrink the partition it will only reduce to 150Gb due to unmovable fragments, when it only needs a max of 40Gb. And the other point is, that the Ubuntu install failed because I could not install to the partition I had created, no matter what I did, so I let the CD do the default "install alongside Windows" and it just installed OVER the Windows partition, hence where we are today.

Kinda embarrassing.

PS: There are two partitions, small at the front of the HD that I can not get in to. I think one is an HP thingie and the other the "Recovery"... either way, they were not searchable even with my current Windows CDs

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by Jonners59 View Post
    PS: There are two partitions, small at the front of the HD that I can not get in to. I think one is an HP thingie and the other the "Recovery"... either way, they were not searchable even with my current Windows CDs
    The usual default for HP machines with Windows 7 is as follows:

Partition 1 - SYSTEM (your Windows 7 boot partition).
    Partition 2 - Your Windows C: partition.
    Partition 3 - The recovery partition.
    Partition 4 - HP_TOOLS - a tiny partition right up at the top end of the drive.

Some or all of #1, #3 and #4 will have the hidden flag set which is why you can't see them in Windows. You say you overwrote the Windows C: partition rather than the recovery partition, so if you still have the recovery partition, you should be able to boot from this from the BIOS without needing the DVDs. The recovery partition and the recovery DVDs have the same functionality.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonners59 View Post
    The other problem is that, if it does wipe the disk and install the system to "as new", even trying to shrink the partition it will only reduce to 150Gb due to unmovable fragments, when it only needs a max of 40Gb. And the other point is, that the Ubuntu install failed because I could not install to the partition I had created, no matter what I did, so I let the CD do the default "install alongside Windows" and it just installed OVER the Windows partition, hence where we are today.
    Two points:

The unshrinkability of the C: partition will be irrelevant to when you run the restore function. This will create a new filesystem in the partition or may simply create a new set of partitions, restoring the machine to its factory condition, depending on what choices are available in the restore utility.

The Ubuntu installation probably failed because of the four primary partition limit for mbr partition table. It sounds as though you created unallocated space by shrinking the Windows C: partition. It is impossible to create a partition in that space without deleting one of the other partitions first. Once you've restored Windows, I suggest you start a new thread asking for help with installing Ubuntu to your HP machine. This is a common problem, but easily solved, and there are many threads about it.
    Ubuntu 16.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 14.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - IRC #ubuntuforums

Member: Not Canonical Team

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

Beans

Thanks Coffeecat
    Quote Originally Posted by coffeecat View Post
    The usual default for HP machines with Windows 7 is as follows:

Partition 1 - SYSTEM (your Windows 7 boot partition).
    Partition 2 - Your Windows C: partition.
    Partition 3 - The recovery partition.
    Partition 4 - HP_TOOLS - a tiny partition right up at the top end of the drive.

Some or all of #1, #3 and #4 will have the hidden flag set which is why you can't see them in Windows. You say you overwrote the Windows C: partition rather than the recovery partition, so if you still have the recovery partition, you should be able to boot from this from the BIOS without needing the DVDs. The recovery partition and the recovery DVDs have the same functionality.
    That sounds correct. I can see them in gParted, but there is no access. And I recall seeing 4, but only 2 seem to remain. I am certain I deleted the C, and it does boot in to the initial mbr screen (I think that is what it is referred to - the equivalent of GRUB where the OS is selected). It then says there is a problem and to install the Install CD and use Repair.

I'll take a look at the BIOS settings and get back. May be a day or two.

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecat View Post
    Two points:

The unshrinkability of the C: partition will be irrelevant to when you run the restore function. This will create a new filesystem in the partition or may simply create a new set of partitions, restoring the machine to its factory condition, depending on what choices are available in the restore utility.

The Ubuntu installation probably failed because of the four primary partition limit for mbr partition table. It sounds as though you created unallocated space by shrinking the Windows C: partition. It is impossible to create a partition in that space without deleting one of the other partitions first. Once you've restored Windows, I suggest you start a new thread asking for help with installing Ubuntu to your HP machine. This is a common problem, but easily solved, and there are many threads about it.
    Agree with point 1.

Point 2. I agree, though I know about the limits from past experience and initially used the "Try Ubuntu" to create the partitions. I used an "Extended Partition" and put two "Logical" partitions in there. Then did the install. It could not install in to either partition, so I tried the same via the install setup, creating new partitions, etc..... It would create them, but would not install in to them, something I have done successfully on many other machines in the past.

Lest see what turns up.

Beans

OK folks
    CDs have arrived. 4 (four) in total. 1 x Recovery CD and 3 x new install...... So the question is which do I try first?

I am concerned that, based on your feedback below, one (or both) could delete the current installation of Ubuntu.

Your vote/views are very welcome.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Restoration media obtained from an OEM are designed to do one thing -- restore the PC to the state it was in when you first unpacked it and started it up. The nearly always involves wiping the hard drive, reformatting it, and reinstalling the OEM's version of Windows -- complete with any apps that came preinstalled.

Since different restore media do different things, I don't think any of us can tell you for sure what this media will do.

But, it's most likely that your Ubuntu install will be erased.

You could try to save it by hooking up an external drive and using Clonezilla (run by booting from a CD) to image off the Ubuntu install. That will give you something you can later use to restore it to the hard drive.

As to what to insert first, you should have received instructions on that, either with the CDs, or via email from the OEM. My guess, and it IS a guess, is that you would insert the Recovery CD/DVD first, and then insert the other CDs/DVDs in order.
    Ubuntu 16.04 Mate, Mint 18 Mate; MS Win 8.1, MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Most, if not all, current products from HP and Compaq are using the UEFI-gpt boot procedure rather than the more familiar MBR-legacy approach -- and the Ubuntu installer doesn't always recognize that fact, resulting in serious problems when you want to dual-boot.

Before you do anything to restore the system, read the info at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI to get an understanding of what may be at the root of your problem with the laptop, and how to solve it.

Using the HP restore DVDs will definitely remove your existing Ubuntu installation, so be sure to use Clonezilla or a similar program to keep an image of it. After restoring Windows and before doing anything else, boot up Windows and go to its Disk Management utility to shrink the "SYSTEM" partition as small as possible. I've seen reports that doing this before anything else can make the Win7 partition much smaller; I didn't do so and could only shrink it to about 250 GB!

After the initial shrinking, you can clean bloatware off of Win7 if you like, then defragment its partition a couple of times and try to shrink it again to get it even smaller.

Be sure to note the requirements for UEFI compatibility in the page I referred to above, and make certain that your BIOS is set up accordingly.

Only after all this should you reinstall Ubuntu. Use the live CD and tell it to use the unallocated space on the drive, or take the "Something else" option and set up your partitions manually. Finally, put the saved image back over the new installation of Ubuntu.

Since the gpt scheme has no four-primary limit, ignore all advice about extended and logical partitions if you have a UEFI system. This is becoming an increasingly serious problem, as UEFI usage spreads!
    --
    Jim Kyle in Oklahoma, USA
    Linux Counter #259718
    Howto mark thread: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UnansweredPo.../SolvedThreads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast