Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Uninstall Windows 7 within Ubuntu 12

Beans

Lightbulb Uninstall Windows 7 within Ubuntu 12

ALright, well I want to be SURE I do this right so I came here to make sure cause every post seems to have a very good solved answer!

Well, basically I'm pretty sure you need some info first! (duh) Alright, Well I have Windows Vista on the C: drive partition, and I have Windows 7 on the W: drive partition, and I installed Ubuntu 12.04 with a burned CD iso image.

My question is, I dont believe I can ever delete my C: drive since it has the MBR I believe? So how do I uninstall windows 7 from the W: partition SAFELY from Ubuntu WITHOUT messing up my Ubuntu "partition" (its on a different one)

Just want to make sure I know how in case any problems arise, so yeah! BTW, I have a system restore point for windows 7 in case anything goes wrong, and the burned ISO image for Ubuntu install on a CD, so I believe I'm good on backups??

Beans

Re: Uninstall Windows 7 within Ubuntu 12

If grub is your bootloader then just uninstall Windows 7 and boot Ubuntu and in terminal type

Code:
    sudo update-grub
    There is no greater religion than a truth.

Beans

Lightbulb Re: Uninstall Windows 7 within Ubuntu 12

Well yes, I know that bit, but how to I actually go about uninstalling windows 7? and make sure I don't uninstall Ubuntu?

And lets say I *do* uninstall Ubuntu by accident, can I just pop in my Ubuntu ISO burned CD disc and re install?

Beans

Oh, and for just a little bit more info, in GParted app for Ubuntu,
    It says I have /dev/sda1.../dev/sda2.../dev/sda3 and within that there is /dev/sda 5 and /dev/sda6 with sda6 being the mount point of "/" and is ext4, while sda5 is ntfs, is blank for the mount point and the label says "windows 7" does that mean my 6th partition has Ubuntu and the 5th one has windows 7 and I could safely right click on 5th one to format to ext4 to give more space for the "Ubuntu partition", oh and below those two it says /dev/sda4 with label of PRESARIO_RP (the disc drive I'm guessing??)

Beans
    Hidden!

You first need to know the partition layout of your computer which you can get from command
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    in terminal. You then need to interpret the partitions shown as sda1 sda2 etc etc into your C:\ and W:\ which is the windows way of naming partitions as disks.

Get that far and report back here the terminal output if you're not sure and someone will help you with the correct partition(s) to delete, and how most easily to do it.

For safety, I suggest you use gparted on your live Ubuntu CD/USB to carry out the deletion, but it is up to you; you can use terminal commands if you prefer.

EDIT:
    OK, I see you've found gparted, so can you let us see a screenshot of that window, please, just to be sure. Make a screenshot with the printscreen key, save it to disk and then use the paperclip in the toolbar of the reply box in the forum, navigate to the image and upload it.
    Last edited by ajgreeny; October 18th, 2012 at 12:06 AM.
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 16.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo --- Wireless-Info

Beans

Here is the terminal code
    Code:
    Disk /dev/sda: 200.0 GB, 200049647616 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 24321 cylinders, total 390721968 sectors
    Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0x24837113

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
    /dev/sda1            2048      239615      118784    7  HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
    /dev/sda2   *      240975   107169614    53464320    7  HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
    /dev/sda3       107169790   370122751   131476481    f  W95 Ext'd (LBA)
    /dev/sda4       370122752   390715391    10296320    7  HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
    /dev/sda5       107169792   274937855    83884032    7  HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
    /dev/sda6       274939904   370122751    47591424   83  Linux
    Also, I attached an image of gparted, the highlighted orange one is the one I think is the linux one, and the one above I think is the Windows 7 one.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Hidden!

Yes, you are correct sda6 is your ubuntu partition, a logical partition contained within the extended sda3.

You only have the one partition for ubuntu and are running without any swap, not a major problem if you have plenty of physical ram, but you will not be able to to suspend or use hibernation without swap.

I see your Windows 7 partition, sda5, is a logical one inside sda3 which I find surprising as I did not think windows would boot from a logical partition. I presume sda4 is the Win 7 recovery partition, and sda1 the windows boot partition, but that is where my knowledge of windows ends, not having run it for about three years, and then having XP which was much easier to deal with when dual booting than the more recent versions.

However, to get back to your original question. If you want to get rid of windows completely from your machine, boot to ubuntu live CD/USB and simply run gparted and delete sda1, sda2 and sda5. You could keep sda4, the recovery partition, though I have no idea how you use that if you have no windows bootloader on the machine. That will leave you with empty space at the start of the disk where sda1 and sda2 were placed, and some empty space in the extended sda3 partition which can be resized over the whole disk if you are using only Linux on the machine. I then recommend you to add a swap partition equal in size to your ram. As grub is now your bootloader the removal of the windows partitions will not affect anything about booting the computer, as grub is not on a partition but at the root of the disk, in the first 63 (I think) sectors of the disk.

The rest of the empty space can be used as a separate /home partition if you wish, and another just for data, or you could move the ubuntu partition to the start of the disk using gparted. It can take a long time to move partitions, and you MUST BACKUP FIRST just in case something goes wrong, but I have recently done it several times without a murmur from the moved OSs when next booted.

If you want to remove just win7 and keep vista, I'm afraid I will have to leave that to other, more windows aware users.
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 16.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo --- Wireless-Info

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

To be honest I would just use Gparted or anything similar to it, and delete the C: drive. Then run "sudo update-grub". This will fix your grub. Then boot to a live iso and use Gparted to organise the hard drive partitions as you please. This seems to be the easiest solution I could come up with.
    Last edited by buckyaustin; October 18th, 2012 at 10:11 AM. Reason: Spelling

Beans

Thank you for the replies!

To Bucky: If I deleted the C: drive wouldnt that delete the MBR?

To others: How can I completely remove Windows 7 BUT keep vista?

Since I THINK the first partition, sda1, would be the "primary" partition since its "1", and the flag on sda2 says boot, I dont guess I could delete that either, So, If I just removed the sda5 would that remove windows 7 (and not vista, I'm thinking sda2 is the vista partition since its says boot and vista was the pre installed OS on this computer)?

And To AJ: Thanks for the help man! Even though you can't completely resolve my problem, I have learned a lot about this stuff and Ubuntu from you, (I've only had it 3 days now!) I thank you!

-Voxel

Beans

I would highly recommend that you make a backup of everything, from all partitions, that you might want in the future, that you would find difficult to replace. Do not make it on any partition of the drive that you are doing partition work on. Because if you make a mistake, it can be difficult recover. If you make two mistakes in a row it can be just about impossible.

If you are not absolutely sure that the drive label of W: is indeed "Windows 7", boot into Windows and check it. Also make sure that you have a backup of anything on the "Windows 7" disk (Windows calls it a drive, it is actually a partition) that you might want in the future. A System Restore point will do you no good after you delete everything on your "Windows 7" disk.

Now if you are sure that you are ready to delete the partition labeled "Windows 7", boot Ubuntu from your CD. Use gparted to delete the "Windows 7" partition, it may not be called /dev/sda5 when you have booted from your CD.

Then move your ext 4 partition as far forward as it will go. Make a swap partition at the end of the free space you just made, and stretch your ext 4 partition to take the rest of the available space. Unless of course you have a scheme that you like better.

When you boot into your installed version of Ubuntu run "sudo update-grub" to update your boot menu.

I believe your "PRESARIO_RP" partition is designed to restore your computer to the factory state. If you don't want that possibility, then you can delete it as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast