View Poll Results: What is your Quantal Quetzal install/upgrade experience ?

Voters
137. You may not vote on this poll
  • Upgrade - worked flawlessly

16 11.68%
  • Upgrade - worked but had a few things to fix, nothing serious though

19 13.87%
  • Upgrade - had many problems that I've not been able to solve

16 11.68%
  • Install - worked flawlessly

38 27.74%
  • Install - worked but had a few things to fix, nothing serious though

22 16.06%
  • Install - had many problems that I have not been able to solve.

26 18.98%
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Quantal installation and upgrade experience

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Quantal installation and upgrade experience

reinstalled 12.04...

-Pierce

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by pierceTN View Post
    reinstalled 12.04...

-Pierce
    Lots of relatives in Elizabethton, TN...

So far RR 13.04 has worked better then PP or QQ.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by cecilpierce View Post
    Lots of relatives in Elizabethton, TN...

So far RR 13.04 has worked better then PP or QQ.
    I am going to have to look into 13.04 beta for a problematic machine. Sometimes, jumping on the betas is a really good idea-it fixed some problems I had with 11.10 when I installed the 12.04 beta.
    Backups are amazing. 99% of data loss can be prevented by spending less than $100 on an external drive.
    If you have seen an error, there is a good chance someone else has, too. Google is your friend.

Beans
    Distro

I installed 12.10 clean and enabled broadcom driver and did the install. Then I reboot and my driver needs re-enabling then I tether with my phone and enable the driver but then wireless networks never show up in network manager.

Beans

the fresh install went flawless; problems started after the install completed.

Beans

Angry Re: Quantal installation and upgrade experience

Upgrade worked flawlessly, but my system is now way, way too slow. Won't bother to install it in my main system.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Smile Re: Quantal installation and upgrade experience

Installed: Ubuntu 12.10 Secure-Remix 64bit

LiveDVD was not recognized as boot disc (MD5 Checksum Confirmed)
    had to use BOTH LiveUSB and LiveDVD (booted from USB, read files from DVD).

Screen was black during grub, boot, splash, login, and after
    had to use acpi=off because of acpi problems with screen brightness
    had to manually set brightness after install using /sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight/brightness

Grub2 Menu Entries were broken, Windows 8 would not boot
    had to run Boot-Repair after install to get Grub2 working correctly (Windows 8 was not loading, Ubuntu was. It's fixed now)

...KDE/Unity apparently auto-corrected because my "fix" is gone from /etc/init.d/rc.local and everything works now.

Machine is running perfectly now, no problems.
    HP 2000-2b59wm Laptop
    Intel 2nd Generation Core Integrated Graphics Chip
    Intel Pentium Processor
    Windows 8 pre-installed (UEFI Boot)

Just wanted to be truthful, I love Debian & Ubuntu. I'm glad I got it working now, I hope in the future this will not be a problem. I was worried for a minute, there are alot of people having the same or similar problem with these Windows 8 pre-installed machines, UEFI Boot, and the Intel 2nd Generation Graphics Chip...

-Cj

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by cjwelborn View Post
    Installed: Ubuntu 12.10 Secure-Remix 64bit

LiveDVD was not recognized as boot disc (MD5 Checksum Confirmed)
    had to use BOTH LiveUSB and LiveDVD (booted from USB, read files from DVD).

Screen was black during grub, boot, splash, login, and after
    had to use acpi=off because of acpi problems with screen brightness
    had to manually set brightness after install using /sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight/brightness

Grub2 Menu Entries were broken, Windows 8 would not boot
    had to run Boot-Repair after install to get Grub2 working correctly (Windows 8 was not loading, Ubuntu was. It's fixed now)

...KDE/Unity apparently auto-corrected because my "fix" is gone from /etc/init.d/rc.local and everything works now.

Machine is running perfectly now, no problems.
    HP 2000-2b59wm Laptop
    Intel 2nd Generation Core Integrated Graphics Chip
    Intel Pentium Processor
    Windows 8 pre-installed (UEFI Boot)

Just wanted to be truthful, I love Debian & Ubuntu. I'm glad I got it working now, I hope in the future this will not be a problem. I was worried for a minute, there are alot of people having the same or similar problem with these Windows 8 pre-installed machines, UEFI Boot, and the Intel 2nd Generation Graphics Chip...

-Cj
    The Ubuntu 12.10 Secure-Remix 64bit, isn't an official release, so I'd suggest that if you are having problems booting it, that you should report a bug to the creator of the re-spin.

Beans

It installed perfectly for me and I even had wireless going out of the box. However, I then proceeded to preform an update. After restarting there was no wireless, which makes it hard to install wireless drivers!

Unrelated, I started getting crash notifications relating to Ubuntu's desktop UI applications.

I've also noticed these crash notifications on another box, which appears to be related to Intel graphics cards and the Unity and Gnome Shell desktops.

Lastly, I never realised the "Additional" drivers were in Software Sources. Must say, I would never have guessed considering Software Sources is to do with *Software*, and drivers on the other hand are to do with *Hardware*. I bet lots of new users will be completely lost.

Unfortunately, for the time being I'm jumping ship to mint. Really it's a combination of the above problems and with the Unity UI design itself (sorry I'm not a fan). However I have donated as I appreciate how much good use I've had from Ubuntu and that mint makes good use of Ubuntu also

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by r123 View Post
    It installed perfectly for me and I even had wireless going out of the box. However, I then proceeded to preform an update. After restarting there was no wireless, which makes it hard to install wireless drivers!

Unrelated, I started getting crash notifications relating to Ubuntu's desktop UI applications.

I've also noticed these crash notifications on another box, which appears to be related to Intel graphics cards and the Unity and Gnome Shell desktops.

Lastly, I never realised the "Additional" drivers were in Software Sources. Must say, I would never have guessed considering Software Sources is to do with *Software*, and drivers on the other hand are to do with *Hardware*. I bet lots of new users will be completely lost.

Unfortunately, for the time being I'm jumping ship to mint. Really it's a combination of the above problems and with the Unity UI design itself (sorry I'm not a fan). However I have donated as I appreciate how much good use I've had from Ubuntu and that mint makes good use of Ubuntu also
    The crash notifications, unless it brings down Unity or system services like the network manager, are nothing worth worrying about 90% of the time (unless you are making a program and so you need to know what the problem is). The Software Center crashes every now and again, especially when the system is under load.
    You can disable Apport to eliminate these messages. I always do on every install if it is not already disabled, as it is a real pain constantly clicking on those, and those come a lot when I am getting all of my packages in, my PPAs updated, etc.
    On the wireless drivers, have you made a post about it yet? Have you looked in the network menu and enabled wireless or reconnected? It may have gone into manual-on, rather than auto-on. I set mine to manual start because I use Ethernet primarily (speedy and reliable), and when I use Ethernet and WiFi at the same time, when I boot, they fight for awhile over who gets to connect and get the static IP, until eventually the Ethernet somehow wins and my connection is restored.
    Backups are amazing. 99% of data loss can be prevented by spending less than $100 on an external drive.
    If you have seen an error, there is a good chance someone else has, too. Google is your friend.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast