Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: useradd script

Beans

useradd script

Hello. This is a really big forum so I don't know where exactly to post this question so I post it here:

There is /etc/groups file and it has groups & users described inside. The question is how do I add a new user to the same groups as some other users ( but not all users ) ? For example:

group1: user1,user2,user3
    group2: user4
    group3: user2

Question: what command do I execute in terminal so for example user6 is entered automatically to the same groups as user2 (so it's group1 & group3)

Hope question is clear. Thanks in advance.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: useradd script

If it's a new user that you're adding to the system, you can use 'useradd' and specify the groups you want that user to join:

Code:
    useradd -G group1,group2
    If it's an existing user on the system and you want to append the groups that user's a part of, then you can use 'usermod':

Code:
    usermod -a -G <group> <user>
    Have a look at the man pages for usermod and useradd for some more info. Also, found this article that explains a few options nicely:

http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/ubuntu-add-user-to-group/

Hope that helps!

Beans

there's also the gpasswd command, which adds users to a group (rather than adding groups to a user) - may be simpler in this instance

Code:
    gpasswd --add user group

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by steeldriver View Post
    there's also the gpasswd command, which adds users to a group (rather than adding groups to a user) - may be simpler in this instance

Code:
    gpasswd --add user group
    Nice! I didn't know that existed. Thanks for yet again showing me a new trick that will save me some work!

Beans

Thanks for your answers. But as I understand these commands are used to add users to groups manually ? I need to enter group names and so on.. I will try to formulate my question again:

For example I have a really big /etc/groups document with ton of groups and users. How do I add a freshly created user "Tom" to the same groups as "Greg" with a single command/script ? Because it takes a ton of time every time to search a big document and add a new user to the same groups as some other user..

Maybe "grep" command might do a work with a combination with some other commands ? I am not really a good linux user..So the simpler you tell me step-by-step is the better

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Can you provide an example from your big document? If the data in there is laid out in a consistent fashion, it might be possible to parse the file. Do you really mean /etc/group or another document?

Beans

Or you could maybe parse / loop over the output from the 'groups' or 'id' commands for user "Greg"

You would probably want to test for / exclude the user private group if present

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

You could parse the output of groups. That output is tidier than from id.

Below, user1 is given the same groups as user2, except for the one named after the user:

Code:
    user1=foo;user2=bar;for group in $(groups $user2 | sed -e 's/^[^:]* : [^ ]* //;');do echo sudo gpasswd --add $user1 $group;done

Beans

or maybe

Code:
    olduser=foo; newuser=bar; 
    > while read -d ' ' group; do
    > if [ $group != $olduser ]; then 
    > echo sudo gpasswd --add $newuser $group;
    > fi;
    > done < <(id -Gn $olduser)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I should modernize and learn to use id better. That and <()

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast