Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Update Manager GUI is requesting ROOT password.

Beans

Update Manager GUI is requesting ROOT password.

Dear all,

I have been noticing some problems in the last week whereby when trying to perform updates via the graphical Update Manager it has been asking for the root password (not user password as expected with the Ubuntu security model).

The problem is, I have never set up the root account so although I am aware of its existence, it has never been made active.

I am able to perform the updates using the terminal however I am concerned that something has happened to my system that could have altered the security settings.

Does anyone have experience of this? I am using 12.04 currently and am searching for a fix before I consider upgrading to 12.10.

Thanks.

EDIT: I have noticed this occurs with ANY graphical interface requiring sudo access. It also happens with "gparted" too.
    Last edited by Martyn Thompson; October 21st, 2012 at 02:36 PM. Reason: More info.

Beans

Re: Update Manager GUI is requesting ROOT password.

Make sure that you launch these applications with gksu (or gksudo), for example:

Code:
    gksu gparted
    gksu should ask for your user password (not the root password). Ubuntu is designed to never require root password.
    Last edited by snowpine; October 21st, 2012 at 03:16 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

So what happens if you enter the password of your administrative user?

Beans

Snowpine

I am able to perform any tasks using the Terminal and as you suggested, using gksudo etc.

This in itself isn't a problem. The problem I have is that the system is requesting root access password at all.

2F4U

For example if I use Dash and type gparted it will bring up the standard dialogue box asking for root password. If I type my own password all that happens is the box wobbles and asks me to re-type root password.

On my other halfs computer (also running Ubuntu although an older version) the dialogue clearly says "Enter your own password to run administrative tasks".

I am the only user on my machine and have never set up root because it goes against Ubuntu's recommendations (and I have never had to).

Thanks both for your suggestions.

In summary - I am able to perform tasks with elevated privileges through Terminal. However there is still something wrong with the security as if I try and run a task through the GUI directly is requesting a root password.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

So, just to be clear about that, you did not setup another user (different from the one you created during installation) and are now working under that second user?
    Is it possible that the root user has been accidentally enabled by typing

Code:
    sudo passwd
    This would create a password for root and automatically enable the root accound.

You could try to deactivate the root user by entering

Code:
    sudo passwd -dl root
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo

Beans

^--- I agree with the suggestion above.

Beans

Cheers for both above suggestions gentlemen.

I have only one account on the laptop which I set up. I haven't run the sudo passwd command however in any case while I was sleuthing around I did discover the other command to disable that (root) account and ran that.

Code:
    sudo passwd -dl root
    It has made no difference. Even logged out/in again and did cold reboot - no changes.

Yes, I can confirm I set up Ubuntu with only one account many years ago and have performed distribution upgrades ever since (with no serious issues).

Checked the home folder and there is only my own folder (named martyn) and a mythbuntu user which I toyed with months and months ago - with no success(!).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Open a terminal and run the following command:
    Code:
    gksudo gksu-properties
    Check that Authentication mode is set to sudo (not su).
    Cheesemill

Beans

Thanks for this cheesemill.

I checked that and it was set correctly (sudo). I have never seen that little command before.

I got a screen-dump of to show the example of what is happening. This is when I tried to run gparted from the Dash but it happens with anything required elevated privileges. Note that it requests root password and not account or user password.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I'm just guessing but you could try:
    Code:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure gksu
    If that doesn't work try the command again with sudo instead of gksu, it can't hurt (as you can see I really am clutching at straws here)
    Cheesemill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast