Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: pcmanfm won't launch

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: pcmanfm won't launch

Same problem for all of my systems.

Actually, this isn't solved, you just found a work around.

I'd like to know why this is happening and why it wasn't reported in beta testing.
    The future will soon be a thing of the past.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Well the main reason that I tried this one was that I noticed an upstream release of pcmanfm and hoped that the problem was ironed out in it.

In my experience quite a lot of problems get fixed just by the fact that there are updates. Standard Ubuntu repositories can lag a bit behind releases, especially projects with lots of activity. Be aware that there is an element of risk involved with this as the standard repositories will probably be more stable!

Sorry Vasa1 just noticed your number of posts, I am not trying to teach you how to suck eggs.
    Last edited by singedwings; November 17th, 2012 at 02:51 AM. Reason: In case I caused offence

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Guilden_NL would you explain your reasoning for 'this isn't solved, you just found a work around'.

Whilst I had been using
    Code:
    pcmanfm/home/username
    to launch pcmanfm from the terminal whilst I had this problem. I did not change any of my shortcuts.

Surely that means that the only way the problem was fixed was by the change to a newer version? There is of course a chance that something else was causing the problem originally and the updates of it solved the issue. The problem was definately fixed by adding the ppa. I did no other thing at the same time and checked the issue was still there before updating.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by singedwings View Post
    Surely that means that the only way the problem was fixed was by the change to a newer version? ...
    It's a pity you didn't get a response via the mailing list. I think that was an aberration. I've seen most posts there get answers. Even the dev of the file manager responds.
    Why don't you give the list one more chance and post your solution there?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by singedwings View Post
    To fix enable this ppa
    Code:
    ppa:lubuntu-dev/lubuntu-daily
    The updates fix whatever the problem was
    Am I correct in assuming that I can install this PPA by executing the following?
    Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:lubuntu-dev/lubuntu-daily
    Also, how safe is this PPA? PPAs are personal archives, aren't they? So, they aren't official, moderated, monitored, or updated regularly. Once I add the repository, is pcmanfm updated automatically, or do I need to link it somehow?
    T

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Smile Re: pcmanfm won't launch

The ppa repositories vary in their update frequency and quality depending on the work of the assembler and the status/stability of the packages provided. Generally the further upstream the ppa is based on the more unstable it is likely to be. But the ppa listings are the easiest way to get access to the latest features/fixes that may not drop into the main repos for sometime if at all. I have always been a tinkerer and come from many years playing games on windows, where using betas has generally been benifical. I use plenty off ppa's. Watch out for ones that do not play well with each other, say if they have similar packages!

Yes you have the correct line to add the ppa. All you need to do then is
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12